1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lmao at my little sebright rooster!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StruckBy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    My little sebright rooster (hatched mid Sept) is still in the process of learning to crow & apparently is now proving he's a modern man because he is now 'brooding' a couple eggs his mom laid! [​IMG] He dashes out to eat & drink and is clearly healthy & agile (as demonstrated while I chased him around trying to catch him to check to make sure there wasn't something wrong) but oof! he is not going to let anyone take those eggs! He won't even let the hens into that house (the eggs were laid in one of the dog houses I have out in the pen in case the ducks ever decide they want shelter)! If he actually manages to hatch anything I'm going to die laughing...and totally continue that bloodline!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Sounds like his a little confused[​IMG]

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG]Interesting boy you have!

4. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    That's awesome! LMBO!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Love to see a pic of the little man on his eggs!

6. StruckBy

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    I know! I just need to remember to grab the camera when I go out in daylight...my cell phone is really crummy at pictures.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try hard to get the pic! I know I can hardly wait to see this! it would be one for the record books if he managed to brood those eggs to hatching!

Has anyone ever known a roo to be able to do this?

8. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Awww! That is so cool!!

9. Usagi

Usagi Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    I think that's just wonderful. Nurturing dads across all species warm my little icy heart. (I kid. I'm just a sarcastic person. my heart's not icy. lol)

That seriously is cool though. I'm crossing my fingers for hatched chicks because I'm really curious how he's planning on parenting them. :D
    Ye-up. Very interesting biological organism you've got there. I love it.

10. StruckBy

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    A little bummed I admit...I tricked him off & managed to candle the 2 eggs he was on. Since they weren't fertile, I went ahead & pulled them. I actually would have been more than a little shocked if they WERE fertile...he hasn't even finished growing in his grown-up tail feathers yet and I've never seen him attempt to mate with my other sebright (his mom...I think she'd still thrash him). He spent a lot of time looking for the eggs after I swiped them. Here's a picture of before I disturbed him...sorry for the poor quality, I have no idea what I did with the real camera so it was just with a cell phone. I'll be curious to see if he tries this behavior again as he gets older.

[​IMG]

The hen:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by