Loading Emus??

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by Lisahorsegal, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Lisahorsegal

Lisahorsegal New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Does anyone have tips to load our two Emus into a horse trailer to move to our new proprty? We tired using coral panels to funnel them in, but the male actually squeezed through the slots.

Lisa

2. ES Emus

ES Emus Chillin' With My Peeps

we just run two (temporary) lengths of wire fencing from the emu enclosure gate to the sides of the trailer door and walk/guide them into it...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

You can also place a sock over their head so they are 'blinded" then guide them into the trailer..

4. Chickie Mama

Chickie Mama Out Of The Brooder

My husband (or his brother) stands behind the Emu and holds onto their little chicken wings. They "walk them" forward pushing with their whole body and steer with the wings. It's never graceful but it works. Standing behind them is safest. You cannot get kicked. This only works for short distances. If you are moving them into an area, make sure it is not dark. Like many animals, they will resist entering a dark area. I asked why we do not put a pillow case on the Emu's head and I was told that in their experience it scares the Emus and they kick and flail more.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. Lisahorsegal

Lisahorsegal New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. We very much want to get Ozzie and Harriet over to our new ranch.

Lisa

6. yinepu

well a baggy pillow case would scare them more.

I had to help move several adults a few weeks ago. The sock trick worked great for us.

7. Chickie Mama

Chickie Mama Out Of The Brooder

Ah, I see. Perhaps we will try that this summer when we transport them to the fair! Thanks!

8. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Ours flops on the ground then we have to pick the hippo up to put him in the horse trailer geeeee

9. yinepu

[​IMG]

been there done that.. but my "hippo" had been attacked by the neighbor's dogs and was covered in blood... in the middle of the night. Which made carrying him that much more "fun"

10. Tame Emu Guy

Tame Emu Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Check ‘Swarbrick Emu Husbandry Guidelines.’ There’s a good section there on moving emus.
    Consider food: if you put food in the trailer, and the birds are unalarmed, they may just go into to eat the food.

S.E.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by