Loads of minks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by epitidios, Sep 21, 2010.

1. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Hi

Around two weeks ago some idiots that claim to be environmentalists, broke into a mink farm, and all of the animals there, were set free. More than 20,000 animals were set free at a distance of 20 km from where i live. The people in the farm managed to capture some, plenty died from heat, starvation, or thirst. Loads are still loose. Any idea how to protect my chickens? I have practically a double fence that surrounds their coop, and i have placed wire in the door. Any other suggestions?

Thanx in advance.

2. lovemelovemybirds

lovemelovemybirds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Grand Junction
    lots of live traps and luck? Hot wire around the perimeter of the coop? Hopefully they will all die out before they reach your place from being fed and watered in captivity....good luck and keep posted on the turn out!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    make a nice big mink blanket out of them...just kidding...you can either trapped them and hand them back to the owners or dispatch them. In any event if they were born in captivity and raised in captivity they likely have no clue how to hunt for themselves. though mother nature always finds a way. just keep a close eye on your babies and good luck!!

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I agree being born and raised in captivity, they are likely to have only a slight chance to survive. If you have feral (natural to your area) minks they will kill off captive raised ones, as males are very territorial. Being 20K (12 miles) is quite a distance and I believe even those that survive short term probably wouldn't make it your way for a while, if at all. Only suggestion I'd have is to make sure your "double fence" is adequate. I've heard smaller minks can fit through common chicken wire fencing. Good luck.

5. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    I heard from people that they saw minks two km from my place. Also further away than my place!!! I am thinking to put mouse traps just before the door of the coop. I could be lucky and get some alive. They offer a reward of `0 euros (~13 dollars) if you get one alive and 5 euros for a dead one.

6. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    So....why are you on here when you could be out catchin mink? LOL. I'd use stinky cat food in a live trap. If your going for dead, then rat traps. Wild minks can be clever. Not so sure on captive breed ones. Good luck.

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Break out the traps and pray you catch them all. Even if they get beat up a little and are craft quality they are $35.00 each. But if they are in good shape, they are $125.00 each. Only need to catch afew to put up some feed for the chickens and maybe even a steak or two for the humans.

8. epitidios

Jun 30, 2010
    Actually, if i will capture some they will directly to production. [​IMG] My father can make nice scarves from them.

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think leaving a live trap or two with food in it all the time is a great idea.

10. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    I'm thinking coat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by