Local animal rescue turns 39 roosters loose together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thedollysmama, Mar 19, 2013.

1. thedollysmama

thedollysmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2010
    Oroville, CA
    All:
    There is a local horse rescue that has started taking in other livestock from animal control. Their latest acquisition is 39 mature roosters. They have turned all 39 loose on their property stating that it was the first opportunity that the roosters had ever had to be free and rooster-like. There was a storm of incredulity with people mentioning that the potential for brawl and maiming was rather high. The rescue countered that the roosters would form bachelor groups and a little mild squabbling was normal.
    I have my own opinion and was wondering how others felt.

2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I think that making roosters into dinner or soup is the kindest thing to do.

3. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    do they have any intention of taking care of them or just letting them loose and not care for them at all, like if there were be a bad fight , or a hurt chicken?

4. Presidential

Presidential Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2012
    How do you think the neighbors/community feel about that!?

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Outcome is a function of breed. If gamechickens, then not so bright; otherwise birds will scrap a bit and settle down as they indicate. Heavier fighters may need some special attention. Long-term for so many roosters does not seem all that good; soup option might be better unless they are thought to have some particular value.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. To me this is probably one of those situations where well meaning but not well informed people create a situation that is not that great for the very animals they think they are helping. If these are confiscated fighting cocks this will not turn out well. If they are simply from a hoarding type situation most of them will likely settle in, eventually. I hope they are prepared to deal with the issues until then and not just toss them out there and ignore them. Heaven forbid this place then decides it's a good idea to start tossing in some hens so the roosters can also enjoy that aspect of life! [​IMG]

7. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    thats what i was wondering who would be keeping that many roosters and for what reason

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Either they be games or keeping them so not be killed. Every body else wants pullets / hens.

9. UnlabeledMama

UnlabeledMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    Sounds like mayhem. I really hope they weren't former fighting cocks!

10. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Just pray they never introduce a hen or two to that group of roos.

If they think they may fight a little right now, put a hen in with them and it will be an all out war.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by