Local Central Poultry Sales

tocool4uvk

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 26, 2012
I have been attending Poultry and Small Animal Sales in South Central Pa for years. Over the last month I have not seen the typical PA Dept of Agri. at any of them. They are usually collecting swabs from probably 30 animals.

I was hoping of adding to my flock from these sale barns but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking I might just buy a dozen fertile eggs and hatch my own. Do we have any opinions on how safe that might be?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Some diseases can also be transmitted through hatching eggs (MG, avian encephalomyelitis, and lymphoid leukosis are ones I know of) so there is some risk in that also. There are reputable breeders here on BYC who post in certain breed threads who you can usually check out. Have you thought of getting a smaller order of chicks from a hatchery, such as from Meyer in Polk, Ohio, that sell small orders? I don't think there is ever a guarantee that you won't get some sort of disease, but it helps to take your time and find reputable people. Swap meets and Craig's list are not the safe ways to get chickens. Just be careful, and always quarantine any new chickens or chicks away from your main flock for at least 4 weeks in case of illness.

Akrnaf2

The educated Rhino
6 Years
Jul 5, 2014
Center of Israel
No mater the case, every time that you want to introduce a new chickens to an existing flock ( from fertile eggs you hatched, chicks you have ordered, or full grown bird you bought) you should always follow the minimum 40:40 quarantine low: minimum 40 days of quarantine at minimum 40 feat of distance between the new comers and the existing flock!

Top Bottom