local coturnix eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by antrim, Mar 3, 2014.

1. antrim

antrim Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    I was supposed to be getting coturnix eggs yesterday but the rain delayed laying. I am getting them today. Do I need to let the eggs rest outside of the incubator or can I go ahead and put them in?

2. deadeye

deadeye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2013
    i would just make sure they are close to room temperature before putting them in.

3. antrim

Mar 1, 2014
    Ya thats what I figured... thanks :)

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are today's eggs you should let them rest 24 hours. Hatch-ability improves after that point. I believe it is because in the wild they lay a entire clutch before they begin to incubate them, so the eggs need to last longer (cot eggs can go up to 10 days without incubation before fertility/hatch-ability really drops). It's not so important in quail but it matters. A better example of that is Chukar partridge eggs, they need 7 days rest to achieve max hatch-ability.

5. antrim

Mar 1, 2014
    Thank you so much my goal is 100% hatch rate although probably unrealistic I want to do everything I can to try to get it;)

6. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Trying never hurt just don't let it get you if things don't go your way. My eggs go from my yard to my egg storage unit, then to the incubator and I still never get 100%. Maybe that's because I do 120 at a time [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by