Local duck pond duck...help please

Angie111

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hello-
There is a local duck pond in which has become a dumping ground for unwanted tractor supply ducks. Also, people have been raising ducks to release there to 'repopulate the pond'. There is a khaki campbell that looks like it is in bad shape. I was going to try and "rescue" it and bring it home. I have 2 ducks (drakes, 1 mallard and 1 Khaki). I don't know what is wrong with this duck pond duck...maybe injury or illness. His neck is all crooked and he seems super thin to me. The other ducks were pecking at him. I just feel awful for him! The only problem I have is what if it is illness? could my ducks catch whatever he has? I was planning on isolating him. At this point I consider these ducks somewhat abandoned (someone usually goes and feeds them some food, and they do have a couple of coups, but at this point there are over 25 khakis and pekins. I just don't want the little guy to die!

Not to sound mean but that's just nature not everything will live. But with thay being said I would probably rescue him or her just make sure you quarantine that duck if you do get it for at least two weeks

I know, and that is what i was thinking, but i was also thinking that these ducks shouldn't even be out there in the first place to fend for themselves :( I was just going to fence him off on the side yard. That should be adequate, right? My ducks won't be able to have direct contact with him, but still be within close proximity. Do you think that is ok?

If it was me I would probably put him in a large dog crate if you have one or something of the sort to be on the safe side. He won't be the happiest duck but you're saving his life afterall. But ya if you can't do that just put him somewhere that your other ducks can't reach him.

Thank you !!

@Angie111 do you know of a rescue in your area they may take him. Try calling some vets and asking about rehabbers or water fowl rescue in your area. he may need vet attention. We have a couple in North Carolina.So there maybe one near you. Bless you for caring. and your right they don't belong there.

I couldn't capture him. My net wasn't long enough. I will call vet tomorrow, although I'm doubting there is anything like that in my neck of the woods. It truly breaks my heart. I just know he's going to starve or get picked off by a predator. Poor thing. He can't even flap his wings. Thanks for the suggestions.

It really makes me sick when I hear of things like this, but it happens everywhere. I know there are a few rescues in PA, but it's a big state and I don't know where you're located. I really hope you have some luck with this. I can hardly stand the thought of it.

Still thinking of the poor thing. I know a lot of responsible people who purchase ducks from tractor supply. In fact, that is where I got my Darwin. But we've had this store for a couple years and since then so many people have gotten ducklings, only to discard them because I don't think they know better. I wish they would educate people who purchase ducks/chicks. Ugh.

Still thinking of the poor thing. I know a lot of responsible people who purchase ducks from tractor supply. In fact, that is where I got my Darwin. But we've had this store for a couple years and since then so many people have gotten ducklings, only to discard them because I don't think they know better. I wish they would educate people who purchase ducks/chicks. Ugh.
You need some help as many people[friends] as you can get form a human fence, someone is going to have to get into the water to walk slowly behind him towards the shore and the human fence you have in place have a dog crate set up so he has no choice but to get into it once on shore or a dog xpen set up walk him into it then go in behind him and pick him up and put him into a dog crate. Others have rescued ducks and geese this way. I got 2 drakes from our river that had been dumped by using a dog xpen setting it up at the rivers edge and putting food at the back so they had to walk into the pen to eat then I closed up the open end and picked them up put them into the dog crate and brought them home.

I think TSC and others should be help accountable maybe we all should start a letter campaign to let them know what is happening every Easter when they sell these ducklings. With pics if we can get them.

Back
Top Bottom