1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Local feed store

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by waibel zoo, Apr 14, 2009.

1. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I went to the feed store today to get food. Normaly the cages with chicks are kept quite clean, but today I was appaled. I looked in on the cage with little, cute, snuggly silkies in a rainbow of colors and every single one of them had the worst pasty but I had ever seen. I am talking about poop the size of a large marble hanging off almost every bum. I am having an urge to go rescue tomarrow. I don't need them. Just tell me what I already know: it will only make the problem worse. I am quessing they were ordeed in last week assuming Easter would sell them out. There was two cages full of them; reds, white, black and I think a couple of splash.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A talk with the manager would be in order. Obviously, they need to be intructed that these babies will die if not cleaned up.

3. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    Sad thing is, they honestly might not care. I know a lot of big chain pet stores don't care about the well being of their pets because they do not care for them properly. Their attitude is, they will be sold or they will die, either way they were cheap to get so who cares? Which is sad.

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Use another feed store if possible and tell your old one why. They make their money on feed, not chicks. Hit 'em in the wallet, that's my motto.

Buy some of the chicks if you feel you must, but don't buy any feed for them there.

Poor little things.

5. waibel zoo

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    There is no other feed stores here. They are a local chain and sort of monopolize the industry here.

6. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I posted on random ramblings about TSC here in INDY having a surplus of baby chicks. They said they haven't sold any since Saturday and they just got 500 more today. Attack Chicken bought some in that very store Saturday and they already had pasty butt. They got so many more in today that they didn't even have the brooders to put them in. They were out of room.

7. waibel zoo

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    I went back today. I complained to the person I could find in charge and said she would let the person in charge of chickens know. [​IMG] They have a lot of chicks. The larger breeds have gone down in price. As soon as the silkies do I will snag some. Two weeks ago they had a banty bin, all were a $1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by