1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

local Fire Dept sign says our fire risk is between "High" & "Extreme"

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by peacebird, Jun 17, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    and my next door neighbors light a bonfire in the woods that had flames shooting a good ten foot up... I know this because at 11:30 at night I heard a horrible ruckus - they drove two old pickups down through the woods to the bonfire and were using them to shove brush, small trees and such out ot the general area. I believe the fire had started to truly get away from the kids - so they went up the hill to the house and got their folks involved...
    [​IMG]
    The pile was over 3 foot tall and still smoldering/smoking at 4pm the next afternoon. Are these people certifiable?
    [​IMG]
    I should explain - our house is up the hill with the woods extending the whole way. We have a wooden house, cedar siding....

That the ten year olds have been building bonfires in the woods at night, unsupervised, makes me nervous. (on edit - this is the 4th fire the kids have built this summer)

What to do?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    does the fire dept know that all this is going on? and have they said something to the kids about it? or the parents? If so sneak down there and get pictures of the kids doing this get hard evidence against them. are they starting it on your property?

3. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    They are starting the fires on their property, about 5 feet from the dividing line with mine.
    I don't believe the local fire departments have any idea this is going on, part of my question was whether I should alert them. If I do talk to the fire department my neighbors will surely know it was me who complained.... and I don't want trouble.

I also don't want my home to burn down.

4. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    hunny, dont worry about causing trouble. those kids are putting you in danger and your chickens!! You could go to the parents and ask them not to let the kids do it again. but i dont think that would work. I would alert the fire department, and raise cane about those kids!

5. Barb Schuetz

Barb Schuetz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2007
    Viroqua, WI
    Ten year olds shouldn't be lighting fires unsupervised anyway!!! What the @#%$ are these parents thinking?!?! Or... not thinking! [​IMG]

6. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I'd alert both the family, and the fire department, simultaneously. That way you are not "surprising" anyone. This is no small matter- they can burn down your house in a heartbeat this way. This is unacceptable behavior and it demands a quick and decisive response.

Also- causing trouble would be calling the fire department for no good reason. This is not causing trouble- this is protecting your family and home from a very real, very preventable, threat.

-MTchick

7. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    I would have to agree to make the phone calls. I would be really worried baout my home and all my stuff including my pets.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I've had to do that three times (living in So. California). Talk about anxiety attack... loading up all the horses, dogs, etc and trying to scrounge up everything you can in minutes...having to leave your house and wonder what it's going to look like when you come back. One time it burned right up to the house.
    Call the FD!!!! Take it from an experienced fire avoiding California Native.

9. kansas_twister

kansas_twister Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    s.w. kansas
    first off what parent in there right mind would let 10 year olds unsupervised after 11 at night run in the woods building fires?....also who is driving the trucks to help buld theses fires?...i wouldn't be only calling the fire dept but also the police.....

10. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I would call the fire department!! I know in this state you need a fire permit to burn anything, even on your own property, unless you have an enclosed pit, and even then it has to meet certain qualifications. You have to have a rake and hose and can't leave the fire at all...and the FD usually won't give permits unless it's raining!!

I agree, don't worry about whether you are going to ruffle some feathers!! After all, it's your property that's at risk and it sounds those kids parents need to wake up and start acting like parents!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by