Local News Story Battery Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nifty-Chicken, May 6, 2008.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I was getting ready for bed and happend to just glimpse this video about battery hens at a local egg farmer. What is ironic is that I often see this company's trucks on my commute to work.

Warning Graphic pics in video:
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/iteam&id=6123922

People need to just raise a few hens in their backyards and they'll have plenty for themselves and friends!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    How awful! [​IMG] Everyone better go hug their chickens now.

I did have to come back and add that it doesn't surprise me that the people who actually have the power to do something about this didn't want to watch the video. They would rather be ignorant to the situation. :mad:

NO MORE STORE BOUGHT EGGS FOR MY HOUSE!

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  3. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Yea that is what the egg industry looks like. except for thoes are old cages beign used. And there are the animals rights activists again. But I don't get why the farmers don't talk up> o i know becase they would be all criticized beond belief. But that was a creally cruel video. I'm glad i'm growing my own cage free eggs. But here we are. Blaiming almost all egg producers. Atleast they said most not all do it that cruly

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have never wanted to cry over a chicken until now. I will not buy store bought eggs anymore. i will find a local farmer in my area to buy from until My chickens start laying. Thank you for posting this video. If all of the BYC will stop buying store bought eggs that will be atleast 9000+ people that won't buy from this farm.
    [​IMG]
    That place needs to be shut down, just like the cattle farm in Texas that was secretly slaughtering the cows for the sell of beef. Some body needs to shove the owner of this farm in a basket cage like they did those poor chickens.

5. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't believe there is anyhing unique about that operation.

6. masschix

masschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    And my friends questioned why I wanted to get my own chickens. That was absolutely horrible to watch. My chickens will be loved and thanked for their eggs!

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    That story was so sad. I cant watch video on my phone. Probably for the better...I would be traumatized. I know its awful...poor babies.

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Happy chickens come from california (Not that movie though) But yours are.

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    This is exactly why I started raising chickens. I can't and won't buy eggs when chickens are so badly treated. Since I cook most everything we eat from scratch I don't have to worry about "hidden" eggs in prepared products. The only way this can stop is for EVERYONE to refuse to buy eggs from battery hens. However, McDonalds alone uses 3 billion eggs a year. Just imagine how many are used total in the US. It is going to take a LOT to stop this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by