Local or Internet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gabrielle1976, Feb 26, 2009.

1. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Here is my problem. After changeing my mind like 50 times a day for sevral days I have decided I am gonna buy a bator and not make one for sevral reasons. So here is my new problem. I wanted to order from Tractor supply co. The bator I want is under 42.00 us dollers and with shipping its just under 50.00 . That exact same bator at my local feed store is 67.00 , 17.00 more then from on line. Well my sister brought up a few things about that I wanted to ask second and third opions of please bear with me.
    1.Buy local its good for small local busness when people buy from them. >Ugh but 17.00 [​IMG] <
    2.Science the feed store is just blocks from my home if something happens or it dosnt work ect.> good point <
    3. Instent gratification I can go in the morning get it and have it and not have to wait around a week for it to come in the mail.
    4.I am usually gone when the mail gets here so if the mail man leaves it at my door there is a small chabce it could get stolen or damage.

What do you guys think? [​IMG]

2. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    I would get it online, but because the feed store may not be there in a year...

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    well local is always good but your right 17 is a lot. you may want to ask thelm if they will come down any on it chances are they will say about 10 off they will still be makeing a good profit on it cause they know you will need feed. Just my thought i always belive in buying local but i dont belive in local charging higher price cause they think they can.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is an LG.

Don't waste your money.

Save up for a hovabator 1588. You'll be far more pleased with it. I promise you.

5. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    why would it be a waste of money? I know they arnt super awsome but i have read about people sayiny they hatch just fine?[​IMG]

6. the_eagle69

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    yes they do very well hatching they are not as well as the more expensive one of corse im running 2 now one last year and added another one this year and just picked up 2 more and a hov-bator. i may set is later on i want to try to get up to hatching 60 a week in the sportsman and 40 a week in the lg's. Almost there now just got to line up times now. by the way where are you located at.

7. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    This is a subject near to my heart - I work in retail and hear this all the time. It's really not fair to expect two different businesses, in different parts of the country, to have the same operating costs and overheads. Just because one store is $17 more than the other doesn't necessarily mean they're putting that extra money straight into their pockets - they may have higher expenses to cover that the mail order place doesn't. They might even be paying your neighbor down the street a decent wage. That said, if the $17 is the difference between paying the mortgage, or eating, versus out on the street or hungry, then you owe it to yourself to go mail order and get what you need. But if you can afford the extra, yes, you are supporting a local merchant who will then in return support you with their service and convenience, and ultimately that's better for you and your community. Just my (more than) two cents. Either way, enjoy your new incubator! [​IMG]

8. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    The eagal ,
    I live in Nw Oregon In a small town.
    I just want something to hatch eggs in , I really wanted to build one but I decided it would be best if I just bought one , I cant afford to pay more then what the feed store is chargeing for something thats just a hobby, no matter how much I would really love to .

Fargosmom
    Very good point actually and from that perspective as much as I would love to save money youre right , The town I live in has a horrible unemployment rate , Thank you for that perspective.

and thanks for telling me about the 5% and 10% off too.. Didnt catch the screen name sorry .. With that I could get it with shipping for just over 45.00 but I think I will do the local thing .

Thank you very much everyone for youre time and responses.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  9. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Be sure to fish around the Tractor Supply website...you can find $5 off in-store and 10% off mail-order coupons. [​IMG]

10. the_eagle69

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    just wondering i do understand was hopeing you were closer i do have an extria one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by