Local small order hatcheries?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by pinkpoppey, Jan 2, 2011.

1. pinkpoppey

pinkpoppey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    I am finally getting chickens after much deliberating. The chicken coop I have is only for about 5 to (maybe) 7 full grown chickens. Sadly I can't find any hatcheries that sell such small orders. I was hoping there might be a few local hatcheries that I can pick-up an order from. I live in southern UT. I hope this particular post is helpful to many. Feel free to ask your own questions.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Have you tried posting this on the "Where am I, where are you" Utah thread? Just thinking you would have a more specialized audience for your quest...

3. chickieboy

chickieboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    broken bow
    pet chicken does small order

4. pinkpoppey

pinkpoppey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Yay Chicks! :

Have you tried posting this on the "Where am I, where are you" Utah thread? Just thinking you would have a more specialized audience for your quest...

I thought other people might have this same problem and would like to have a less busy, crowded thread to ask on.​

5. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    mypetchicken.com

You can buy small orders and they will sex them as well. If you end up with "accidental" roos, they will refund your money and send you free chickens. It's where I've gotten all my chickens and they have been great.

deb g
    KY

6. kulangi

kulangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Search for your local feed store close and you can buy young chicks for a bargain without the cost of shipping in a month or two.

7. iowagrandpa

iowagrandpa New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    There are a few hatcheries that sell small orders. Cackle hatchery meyers hatchery cackle has a small order of 5 for around $43 that includes shipping or you can try feed stores or craigslist

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I got my flock by inquiring at the feed store. They gave me the name of a local woman. Drove to her place and did not like what I saw. Driving home, passed a sign and stopped to inquire. Bought 6 pullets almost ready to lay.

9. wisewings

wisewings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Cedar City, Utah
    Hi there, I live in So Utah also (cedar City) and if you are close, perhaps we could share an order in the Spring. Also, you can get them at IFA and Cal Ranch, but if you want soemthing unique or special, its better to order by mail. I have used Cackle and Healthy chickens and more in the past with good luck when I want somethi9ng unusual. You won't be sorry if you get chickens, they are so great and yes, addiciting!!!

10. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    I just received the catalog Randall Burke has a small order of 5. MPC also ship a minimum of 3. Meyer also ship few chicks and cackle has a city order of 5 chicks. Check your local craisglist. Hope this help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by