Locally grown feed in Michigan

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pattyh, Jun 30, 2011.

1. pattyh

pattyh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Harsens Island
    I know this is going to be a shot in the dark, but I am looking for a feed supplier near me that either locally grows their feed or a place that sells organic or high quality feed. We are currently feeding them Layena and corn crumbles and only because that is all that is sold at our TSC. We live in St. Clair County and work in Oakland County. So anything in those 2 areas will work. We feed them rice, rice noodles, fruit and veggie scraps, and organic yogurt so they get more variety to there diet, plus it's fun [​IMG] Any other suggestions for feed will be greatly welcomed. We have 5 RIR and 4 Buff hens all around 20 weeks old.

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

There is two that are somewhat close to you.

Here is a list of organic feeds locations
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=20741-organic-chicken-feeds

MICHIGAN

CVK Farms, LLC
    5605 Ewalt Rd.
    Imlay City, MI 48444
    Phone: (810) 724-1476

John Linck
    810-537-1333
    8820 Clear Lake Road,
    Brown City, MI 48416

I get mine from John Linck. Prices are the same between to the two but John has Soy free and one that is mixed with molasses to help make it less powdery. $17-18 per 50lb bag. He has chick, grower, layer, pig, sheep, etc.​

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You might want to check out Armada Grain, Armada. Some of their products are sold at Family Farm and Home, Richmond.

4. patman75

Fred's Hens :

You might want to check out Armada Grain, Armada. Some of their products are sold at Family Farm and Home, Richmond.

Armada grain is a good feed and at a great price. Only downside is they do not sell an organic version.​

5. cmitcham

cmitcham Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    there is www.scramlinfeeds.com in holly. they grow and mix their own layer feed, but don't have a pellet machine so only have crumble. my girls like it just fine but waste alot. he does sell a layer feed in pellet, but not that he grows himself.

6. pattyh

pattyh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Harsens Island
    Fred's Hens :

We're going to go there after work. Seems to be the closest place to us. I might check Imlay City also. I go there once a month.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.​

7. patman75

Quote:We're going to go there after work. Seems to be the closest place to us. I might check Imlay City also. I go there once a month.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

FYI

Armada grain closes early... I think 5:00pm. Family Farm and Home is open to 8:00pm.

8. hagenfun

hagenfun New Egg

Apr 22, 2013
    I tried Scramlin for feed. He said all their grain IS GMO and not organic. They stopped carrying organic when a large buyer quit due to cost.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by