Locally made mash

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Peony7, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Peony7

Peony7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Hi all,
    I'm not new here, but it's been awhile and I couldn't find my old login info. Had to make a new profile...
    Any-hoo.
    We have been buying locally made feed lately, since mid-summer, and it is soy free (uses fish protein). They use organic or naturally grown Washington grains and we like the local and organic aspect of it. The protein content is 16%.

I seem to remember our girls laying less late summer/fall, but they also started going into molt and we had some early cold snaps so I didn't think too much of it. But, I notice after a few days, I have to scoop out a lot of powder from the feeder tray in order for the grains to get down into the tray where the girls can get it. I would assume that the powder is where the proteins and vitamins are, and I hate that they aren't eating that, and now wondering if that is more of the reason they aren't laying.
    Sometimes I mix the powder with yogurt, but the girls aren't too interested because there is all this weird green/black/powder in their once white yogurt, and to tell the truth, it's getting really expensive to buy the organic yogurt to feed them.
    They haven't laid an egg since Oct. but like I said, they have all molted and its cold and dark out there, so I assume that's part of keeping chickens. But if I have to buy another dozen eggs from the store I may loose it!

So, wondering if this feed sounds OK or should I go back to pellets that don't seem to have nearly as much powder "waste"

Happy to give more info. if I'm not being clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by