Located in West Georgia - question about caring for chicks

TempleGal

Hatching
Apr 28, 2015
Your patience with me is appreicated as i am brand spanking new to all of this. A local fellow has chicks hatching "any day now" he said. Didn't remember to ask what breed they were but he did say they are "layers".
I was told by the guy that built my coop that i should get some chicks and put them in a large bin or Rubbermaid/Tupperware type tub for about a week and get them used to me before putting them in the coop. That way they wouldn't run from me and so forth when I went the coop.
Does this sound right to you guys? I have a Rubbermaid tub and pine shaving and Chick Starter feed for them.
Thanks for feedback.

Last edited:
So far, so good. You'll also need a heat lamp and a way to brood them. I typically don't put mine outside before three weeks because it gets too cool at night and I don't want a heat lamp in my coop - too much of a risk of fire.

My brooders are cardboard boxes with plastic liner on the bottom, covered with pine shavings. They have food and water available. Change the bedding if it gets wet, and every two to three days as needed, depending on how many chicks you have. By three weeks, your chicks will be trying to fly out of the box, so you could probably safely put them in an outside coop, as long as they can't get out and you feel like predators can't get them easily.

Hi, the tub and shavings you have sound fine. Make sure you have a heat lamp on them for the first month or so of their life. If they get too hot and are crowded away from the lamp, then raise it. If they're huddled under the lamp then lower it a bit.
Make sure you don't use cedar shavings, it'll cause respiratory problems in some birds.
If he said layers, they'll probably be Rhode Island Reds, Red Star, or something like that.
Good luck!

I also meant to mention that a good rule of thumb is to wait until your chicks are mostly feathered out with very little down left on them. They can regulate their body temperature much more easily when they reach that stage, so no heat lamp and outside temps should not be as bothersome to them.

Hi neighbor! I live in the same general area, and I've had chickens for about a year.

I keep my baby chicks in a tote the first few weeks as well. It works great! I would suggest gently handling them several times a day. If you can get them to eat from your hand, even better.

Keep in mind that after about 2 weeks the chicks will start trying to fly. You will need some kind of cover. What I did was cut out a large section of the lid to the tote and cover the hole with wire mesh. They can't get out, but it still lets in light and air.

I would not put them outside until they are at least 4 weeks, personal preference. I know with the weather we're having lately temperature should be fine for them.

Watch out for pasty butt, that's common in the first week or two.

What method does your guy use to sex chicks? If they're a "sex link" breed, that's great, but if not make sure you have a plan for what to do about any roosters.

Welcome to the wacky and wonderful world of raising chickens. Hang on tight and enjoy the ride.

Back
Top Bottom