locating an outside nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by campochicks, May 9, 2011.

1. campochicks

campochicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    My chickens are free range, spending most of the day roaming around the barn and returning to the coop and nest boxes to lay. Up until about a week ago, I was getting 6-8 eggs a day from 9 hens. Now I'm only getting 4-5. I think they are probably just laying somewhere outside, but I can't find the spot and the missing eggs. I've looked in the places I think might be good places to lay eggs that they frequent, but still no nests. I've checked the sheds, under machinery, and in the weeds near the fence line... I don't think I have the patience to follow them around for the day, but I may have to.

Any ideas of places that are attractive for free range birds to lay eggs outside the nest boxes in the coop?

2. mpguay

mpguay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    I have an EE that does everything she can to avoid the nest boxes. The first time, I found a clutch of 20 eggs under the ramp to our shed. The shed is connected to the coop and run. She had been shimmying under the shed, to the ramp every day. then she would be out of the fence. I assumed she was flying over the fence until i found the eggs.

NOW, she has started to lay in the woods. I knew her eggs were missing, then one day when she dissappeared from the flock i waited and waited and finally heard that victory yell after an egg is laid. she was walking out of a DENSE thicket of POISON IVY. rat fink. her nest was at the base of a huge pine tree with 12 eggs in it.

I took the eggs and stirred up the nest. My husband noted that maybe I should have left the nest, and just collect everyday from there. well once the Poison ivy is gone, i will do that.

So now i am battling the Poison Ivy, trying NOT to use much herbicide if any. Dont want my pond contaminated...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by