Locating BOSS that won't break the bank

Sparhawk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
I started feeding BOSS to by hens and so far, they are loving life. I have only found it at Ocean State Job lot ($5 for 6 lbs) and one feed/pet store ($4 5 lbs) Which seems pretty expensive. My local grain store does not carry it, so I'm looking a for a source. Online? TSC? Appreciate the help !

Sparhawk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Quote:
I was thinking about that. I found a wild bird mix that had BOSS, other seeds, dried fruit and cracked corn. The ingredient that stopped me from buying it was Cayenne pepper....
hmm.png

Would that be OK for chickies??

Medicine Man

Songster
9 Years
Nov 21, 2010
Apple Hill
Quote:
I was thinking about that. I found a wild bird mix that had BOSS, other seeds, dried fruit and cracked corn. The ingredient that stopped me from buying it was Cayenne pepper....
hmm.png

Would that be OK for chickies??

Yes, it's great for them. I use it in my feed recipe.

sunnyvera

Songster
Sep 4, 2010
NE Ohio
The cayenne pepper is probably put in it to discourage squirrels. They won't go near it. HOT. Birds, however, are not affected at all. It is actually good for them - increases circulation.

GarlicEater

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Gilroy, CA
I had a parrot when I was a kid and the food used to come with these BIG dried chilies in it.

TSC seems to have the best price on BOSS I've been checking around myself, I even checked Wal-Mart.

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Quote:
I think you're right. I think it's only 40lbs. When I unloaded the last bag that I purchased, I noticed that it said 40lbs and not 50lbs.

ETA: Info from TSC about BOSS.

SKU Number: 6858833
Manufacturers Number: 151

Bird Seed | Brand : Royal Wing
00ae.png
| Bird Type : Seed Eating Species, Finches & Chickadees | Product Type : Black Oil Sunflower | Package Size : 40 lb.

Last edited:

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom