Locating No Kill Hen Farms In The US

IAmTheEggMan2

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2020
I live in New York and I’m on a quest, a quest to put together a comprehensive list of no kill hen farms that sell their eggs in the US. I found a place in upstate New York near me but I’d like to find others around the country and be able to share that information with others. Any ideas of where/how to start (of course, I've already found some folks on this site but I'm looking for sources that are a little more comprehensive)?

I live in New York and I’m on a quest, a quest to put together a comprehensive list of no kill hen farms that sell their eggs in the US. I found a place in upstate New York near me but I’d like to find others around the country and be able to share that information with others. Any ideas of where/how to start (of course, I've already found some folks on this site but I'm looking for sources that are a little more comprehensive)?
Why you do like the taste of chickens?

I
I don't live in the US but I'd assume these are recorded by a government agency handling livestock and farming or food quality ect... Perhaps contact the equivalent of them

I really doubt that anyone beyond hobby farms are going to meet that criteria. If they are a true business only farm keeping hen past laying age is going to literally eat into their profit margins. Unless they adopt out the older girls.
In general, that's true, but it's possible. I've already found small farms (under 100 birds) that allow their hens to live out their lives on their property in sheltered spaces. And you're right, adoption is an option too. As one owner said with their older hens, "they've more than payed for themselves and their up keep is minimal". In a country of 330 million people, I'll find more. These farms will never compete with big business but they're motivated from the heart first and not the wallet and these days there are thousands of people who will support that. I personally know dozens, do the math. I'm just trying to create a resource.

In general, that's true, but it's possible. I've already found small farms (under 100 birds) that allow their hens to live out their lives on their property in sheltered spaces. And you're right, adoption is an option too. As one owner said with their older hens, "they've more than payed for themselves and their up keep is minimal". In a country of 330 million people, I'll find more. These farms will never compete with big business but they're motivated from the heart first and not the wallet and these days there are thousands of people who will support that. I personally know dozens, do the math. I'm just trying to create a resource.
Though “no kill” farms are a nice thought, those hens are still bought as sexed pullets, meaning that the sexed cockerels were killed as chicks.

Back
Top Bottom