Location and floor of coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cjpeeps, Nov 28, 2016.

1. cjpeeps

cjpeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    CO
    I am an over-researcher, so I've been sitting on this chicken thing for a while trying to get my info together. We live in CO and so I have winters to consider, and in terms of keeping the coop dry and warm, want to locate it in the backyard where it has the best protection and a good dose of morning sun.

The problem is that in that location is an old fish pond, since filled to make a sand pit. Sadly, the local roaming cats have enjoyed it more than my kids.

I'm wondering if 1) we should just rip it out or 2) put the coop/run over it. Are there safety or hygiene issues for my chickens I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Don't worry about those cat treasures buried there. All that is biodegradable. I would lust build coop there and utilize the sand pit as a dry area, and a place for your chickens to dust bathe. My cats mingle with my chickens, and who knows where their treasures are buried. All my cats are feral or rescues, and all outdoor.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. cjpeeps

cjpeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    CO
    Thank you! I appreciate your feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by