location location location!!!

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
Last March, we made a place for the chickens and ducks. We had no idea that we couldn't have put it in a worst spot. Because when it rains, inside of the run looks like a river. I would like to change the location and change the design but I have no idea where to put it
he.gif
. If anyone wants to look at my BYC and give me ideas or suggestions, It will be greatly appriciated.
Thank you in advance

Last edited:
I've considered that, but those 2 huge trees will be a challened to cover them with chicken wire, that's the only opstical for that location. As far as the water and electricity, I could have a plumber and electrian come over but what if when it snows, long walk from home :-(
hit.gif

what is a french drain, how does that work ?

Last edited:
Hey, I've been exactly where you are! Big ol' dog kennel, lots of runoff, mud, soggy wood chips, stink...
barnie.gif

First, do away with the chips, straw, etc. It just soaks up water and holds it, making everything nastier.

Second, block water from coming in and speed water going out. Put logs or landscape timbers along the outside of the high sides to stop runoff entering. Clear along the inside of the low sides to help water run out through the wire. You can also spread a big tarp over the top - anchor it with bungee cords to trees or posts, so it overhangs the sides and blocks rain from blowing in.

Third, go out during a good rain to observe the water flow. Divert it around the coop - you can place logs at an angle where the water flows, or dig trenches to change the direction a bit.

Once you've done all that, evaluate the situation and see if you need to build french drains: http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/installation_french_drain.html
Also
at this point, sand may become more useful.

Can you set it up in the backyard area, not far from the house where it doesn't flood? If desired, the view from the lower deck could be blocked any number of ways. I would put it where it's dryer and convenient to the house. A simple false front could be added & painted to match the house if that's a concern.

I looked at your coop roof angled towards your run. Should angle the other way so run off gets away from run not into the run. I think you could just put down pea gravel and sand to build it up. And like posted prior divert water around/away from your run.

I've put sand, pine chips, hay, gutters, plastic thing to elimanet rain around their coop and there are few things left for me to do as you guys has mentioned. However, do you all think it shoudl stay at it's location and do the other things I didn't do yet, or should I relocated them ?

Back
Top Bottom