Location of Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cibula11, Mar 13, 2013.

1. cibula11

cibula11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Hey all
    New the board and to chicken -life....
    Anyway, I've got 15 chicks coming in 3 weeks and would like to get the brooder all ready this weekend. We live on an acreage, and have plenty of out buildings, but wondered if inside the house is still the best spot for the brooder? The barn is newer and not terribly drafty. They would be a box that is roughly 4'x8' with a mesh top.

Would it be best inside or can I place the brooder in the barn with heat lamps?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If the barn has electric definitely put them there.
    I'm amazed at how many people brood in the house.
    They'll need a heat source no matter where you put them so don't get your house dusty and smelly by confining them there.
    A rule of thumb is to follow nature. A broody hen raises chicks outdoors and in a coop and they come out just fine, better IMO.

3. cibula11

Mar 13, 2013
    Great. Thanks. I was hoping this would be fine. I suppose I can even make the top a bit more enclosed so the heat stays in or at least enclose part of it.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Here are two methods I use but they always go into an unheated/uninsulated coop regardless of the outside temperature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cibula11

Mar 13, 2013
    Do you think a brooder that is 4x8 and 16-18" high would be too large for 15 chicks? I could add a divider to section off space within the box if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by