Location of chicken yard

Kit

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 24, 2010
upstate SC
Hi - I am in upstate SC - researching chickens now with plans to order chicks in early spring - my question is - I plan to locate my chicken house/yard near my dog yard - not right next to it, but within earshot of barking dogs - Does anyone think the barking would disturb the chickens and interfere with their egg laying. The dogs - 3 - are always contained - never run loose, so would not have access to the chicken yard, If I introduce the chickens to their home, and they're never threatened by the dogs, would they just accept the barking as one more noise, or should I reconsider the location to move it farther away from the dogs. No matter where I put the chickens, they'll still be able to hear the dogs ( I have 2 rather noisy bassetts and a very shrill terrior-mix). Thanks for any input - this site has been a great source of practical info - Kit

Dogs barking do not seem to bother mine. They share a yard with 2 Pit bulls when the dogs are out and the chickens are ranging. They have been attacked by a neighbor dog clearing the fence as well, and still they are not bothered by dogs at all. I get plenty of eggs. Just rehomed a dog for killing one of my girls yesterday
hmm.png
No more dogs for me, but the dogs still residing here, do not bother them at all.
welcome-byc.gif

My dogs do lots of barking no worries from the chickens, they go about their business. I know it is a little of topic but just make sure your chicken are is secure from all predators and the chickens should be fine. Welcome to BYC you will love this place lots of info on everything specially fowl related.
welcome-byc.gif

The best situation would be to train the dogs so thet in time they can all be together. This not only resolves the stress issue on the chickens but is excellent predator protection.

If you are not going to do this, I would house the chickens as far from the dogs as I could.

My dogs and chickens all get along (ignore each other) and the presence of the dogs (and I think the fact that the males have "scented" the area) seems to keep the predators away as well.

deb g
KY

welcome-byc.gif
We live right beside a railroad crossing with trains going by and all the whistles, rumbling and other noise, several barking dogs, guineas hollering 25 hours a day, my neighbor shooting guns all the time, log trucks on the road by the coops, and a whole neighborhood full of screaming, playing kids.

the chickens don't even notice
wink.png

But shake a feed bucket and they can hear that from half a mile away.
lau.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. The chickens won't care, but I would put the coop away from your bedroom window. Especially if you have roos. I wish like all get out we would have put the coop on the other side of the house, just for my own peace.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom