Location of new coop is old tractor shed but history of spilled oil

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2mnypets, Nov 30, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Hi everyone. I have a friend that is just starting out in the chicken addiction. She asked me a very good question. Here is it and I quote:

"I have chicks that are about 6 weeks old and am preparing a pen and coop for them. I'm enclosing the far end of my old tractor shed and my concern is that in years past there has been some oil spills on the ground. Should this be a concern and if so, what can I do to remedy situation? Thanks".

I needed some imput from the people I trust the most. I personally wouldn't do it from the standpoint of them consuming the eggs and being that chickens like to scratch. Does anyone have a solution to remedy that situation? Thank you in advance.

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    The only thing you can do is dig out the dirt and replace it with fresh/clean dirt.
    My birds are in an old shed it is kinda cute but the past owners worked on cars/engines
    in it. I scraped out 2/3 inches of dirt by hand, "HARD WORK" then I had a load of pea gravel brought in
    I DO NOT let my silkies on the floor of the coop all the pens are raised off the ground,
    they free range out side.
    the gravel was just to give me a clean area to walk so as not to track oil into the house.

I really should have taken a good foot of dirt out but that would have taken way to long with out equipment.

Here are the pics of my coops/pens/cages

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7724703&uid=3314574

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I would remove atleast a foot of dirt. I would then lay down thick plastic and put in fresh dirt. If plastic is used make sure it does not cover sidewalls of hole just the bottom. You need some drainage.

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

She needs to get the old dirt out of there and replace it with clean dirt.

Personally, I would dig out as much as possiable. My hens dig some pretty deep holes in their run.

Minimum of a foot but the deeper the better.

Sounds like it is a pretty big barn maybe she can get a small tractor (Bobcat sized one) in there to help out in the digging.

Could she if she does not want to dig out the dirt build an elevated wood floor? That way her chicks will never have the chance to ever dig down into the oiled soil....

5. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I'm not sure how big of an area we are talking about. She lives in another state and we don't get to see each other that often. I'll let her know the suggestions that you guys said and let her make the final decision. Thanks for all the great imput. I knew I could count on you guys!

6. BerdooFarm

BerdooFarm Out Of The Brooder

7. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    That certainly does put a new perspective on things. I bet a raised wire floor built in movable sections could be just the ticket. Then the manure could cleanup the oil plus the chickens would be off of it. I have heard of soil bioremediation. I was not aware chicken poo would help neutralize oil though.

8. 2mnypets

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    That is incredible to say the least. Who would have thunk! I forwarded the website to her. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by