LOCK DOWN!!!! Day 18 to hatch day! Join me!-I HAVE A BABY!!! PICTURES!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hey everyone! I'm on day 20 right now with my one remaining egg (it's a test run...I'm using my homemade incubator for the first time. I had 3 eggs total, but 2 quit early).

So far, my humidity is at 50% and temperature is around 99-100*F (sometimes goes down to 98 and up to 101, but not for very long). The egg wiggles when I gently tap the glass on the incubator, which means that the chick must hear it. [​IMG] I've heard that when a broody hen is sitting on eggs and they are near hatching, the chicks inside of them can hear her clucking to them and she knows that they can hear her.

Anyone else on lock down? The only time I've opened the incubator is when I need to add some warm/hot water to raise humidity, and I do that really quickly so it barely affects the temperature/humidity.

Also, is it normal to see the egg wiggling very faintly as early as day 18? That's around the time, after I stopped turning the egg, that I could see it wiggle every once in a while.
    Also, is 50% too low for humidity? I'm using the dry method.

Thanks! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Everything sounds good to me. [​IMG]
    Mine aren't due to hatch until the 4th. Good luck with your eggs... make sure to post pics!

3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i'd lock down but my eggs are under a broody hen! [​IMG] and she won't let me near her!

yes, i've seen eggs move at day 18 and up till they hatched. they are flipping themselves in the egg to be at the other end for hatching in the right direction.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Jed

Jed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    Ditto on the test run on a homeade bator. Mine are due to hatch on the 2nd. I started with 12 white leghorn eggs and I am down to 10 eggs. My temps usually swing from 98 to 102 and the humidity stays around 40%. I will candle once more before lockdown on Saturday morning, hopefully with 10 good eggs! What are you hatching? What are you planning to hatch in the future?

5. MarriedToTheFarm

MarriedToTheFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    Sounds great, it's fun to hear about how everyone's hatch is going. Today is day 21 for me. I started with 24 eggs and took out 14 clears before lockdown. I pulled a lot of them out of my fridge when I got the incubator so I wasn't too disappointed to have 10 going in to lockdown. I'm not sure that all 10 were good but they all had candled dark and I saw movement in some. Today I came home to find 3 pips! I'm thrilled to think that I might get at least 3 chicks! Normally I'm not a pessimist but as the evening wore on I got a little anxious so I unplugged the bator for a minute to quiet the fan. I put my ear on the side and definitely hear chirping. Off to check again... hope everyone else is doing good!

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Hatch Day [​IMG] [​IMG]

we are awaiting the fuzzy butts.....I hear cheeping! ! [​IMG]

But I don't see them yet......

Come on [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA
    :

We have another 8 due in a week Feb 3rd
    7 that I set yesterday, Due Feb 16th!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  7. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Day 21 here and ANXIOUS AS ALL GET OUT.

Oh my. Is the first hatch always this gut wrenching?!

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    It's day 21 now, still no pips but the egg still wiggles in response when I tap the window on the incubator. Humidity is at 52% (about) and temperature has been at 98-101*F, as usual. The thermostat stays on until the temp. reaches up to 100-101*F, then shuts off until temp. reaches 98-99*F.

I don't know if I should reach inside and take the egg out to candle and see if the chick has pipped the air sack yet. I'm worried that I might cause harm to the chick while it's preparing to hatch, because I've heard that you should not touch the eggs at all from day 18 to the hatch day because when you move it, the chick has to reposition itself. I might take it out and put it up to my ear to listen for any peeping or pecking from the inside.

I can't wait to see the first pip! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck everyone!

9. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Back away from the bator, SLOWLY WITH YOUR HANDS UP! Don't go in there! I am resisting the tempation too.

I am on Day 22, and was in a panic that there was something wrong but now we have CHIRPS!!! One of the brown eggs has pipped out the side of the egg facing down so we cant see anything anyways. Figures! lol

I am sitting here talking to them and singing to them hoping they break out soon.

This is going to be a loooong night.

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] OK I promise not to touch the egg!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by