Lock down help please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheChickenQueen, Dec 21, 2014.

1. TheChickenQueen

TheChickenQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Day 18 starts for me at 10 pm Mountain Time tonight. And I need to go to bed early so I'll have to start lock down early. But is there any tips anyone can give me? I have a Farm Innovators incubator with an egg turner, doing the dry method. And I started with 42 eggs and all of them are still alive so I guess I must doing alright. But yeah. Any good tips?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Good luck!! So exciting!!! I'm only familiar with my Little Giant incubator, but I did dry incubation last hatch (and preferr it now), and at lock down I filled the water wells but I also placed three new wet sponges in the bator to help up the humidity and during lockdown I would just pull the sponges quick to wet them when I needed instead of worryiing about the wells and it worked beautifully! Other than that, vents open and a nerve pill (lol) is all I can think.
    Have you read the thread on assisted hatches? It's best if they hatch themselves, but it's alwaays good to be prepared too and that's an excellent thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

3. TheChickenQueen

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    They are basically the same thing.
    I filled up the water wells, put paper towels underneath and above the the wire screen(?) and I've added a little bit more on the paper towels.

Do I open the little holes on top? and is it normal for there to be water droplets on the windows? And the bator was a around 90 degrees for most the night by accident.

I'm worried that I've messed up, it's driving me crazy.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I thought they were about the same, but wasn't sure. Yes, the vents need to be open now. Once you open the vents you probably won't see all the condensation. I seldom ever got condensation. Do you have a working hygrometer to monitor humidity?
    You have the temp regulated back right? I wouldn't think that would compromise them at this late stage. I'm not even sure if it would delay the hatch any. As long as you have the temp and humidity back up to where it should be and keep it there for the remander I would think you'll be ok. I hope.

5. TheChickenQueen

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Alright, I have them closed because the heat was still not going up, like just a little bit. But not to where it should be..
    I have a digital temperature and humidity reader. Because I can not find a hygrometer to save my life. And then there are 3 fish tank thermometers in there, I added one yesterday and the other two have been in there the entire time.
    I hope so too.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I have heard that if you put (sterile) rocks in the water wells, it will help hold the temp. Once the rocks warm up they hold in the heat. I've never tried it. Haven't had a reason, so I don't know how much of a difference it makes. Might be worth trying.

7. TheChickenQueen

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Never tried that. Can't now though. I have it in the high nineties, I wounder if I put a small heater down there just to make the air outside higher if that would help.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Definitely a possibility. Outside temps and humidity effect bator.

9. TheChickenQueen

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Alright, I'll have to do that later when I can see where the heater is at.

It sounds like I might have an internal pip... Hopefully my mind is not playing tricks on me [​IMG] I mean day 19 doesn't start for 4 more hours, but it did look like I was going to have early and late chicks judging by how filled up the eggs were.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    When you count your days you are starting day 1 after the first 24 hours, right?? My last hatch a good amount of mine started pipping on 19. No one actually hatched until 20, but I was excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by