Lock down in my Genesis tomorrow, a question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mandymooligan, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Do I put the eggs directly on the wire floor or do I put paper-towels over the wire? I am also using the cupcake liner papers to put the eggs in.

2. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Do not put paper towels down they will wick up the water and send your humidity crazy...yes you can lay the eggs directly on the wire floor...I have done three excellent hatches this way in a Genesis 1588 and I am going into lockdown tonight and I am trying the egg carton method this time....

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I put that foamy/squishy shelf liner in mine. It helps the little babies get their feet up under them in that initial wobbly phase. [​IMG]

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i put down the shelfliner and put my eggs in cartons....the shelf liner so when they first hatch they have non slip footing....Plus it's easier to clean out the bator when the hatch is over.

5. Mandymooligan

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Quote:I forgot about that shelf-liner!! Thank God I did not throw it out! Tell me more about the cartons.!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just let mine hatch on the wire.
    [​IMG]

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Mine are hatching on the wire, too.
    I have a Genesis 1588.
    I think next time I will try the egg carton to keep the eggs from being bowled around as the chicks waddle through.

8. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I just put mine in cartons now and am nervous as this is the first time I have used it...the eggs all look great so we will see.

9. Mandymooligan

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Do you simply put them in an egg carton big end up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by