lock down on day 19?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by micheleomal, Feb 27, 2015.

1. micheleomal

micheleomal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Newbie here, but just hatched 4 chicks (out of 9) today. Don't know if the rest will hatch or not. It is only day 22 so I'll leave them in. Anyway, I have 6 more eggs due to go in tonight but their air cells look small. Can I leave them in the incubator at low humidity another day? I have 2 incubators so I transfer to a still air high humidity for hatching. I am just hoping to increase the air cell size a bit more. Will this hurt? Should I not turn them tonight/tomorrow until I transfer them tomorrow night (if you think I can wait)? This thread has gotten my through the last 22 days with only a few gray hairs. Waiting the last 3 days has been the worst!! But I have lovely little peeps to show for it [​IMG]. Thanks a million...

2. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Leaving them in the incubator one more day shouldn't hurt. I wouldn't turn them and be real careful not to turn them when you move them over to the other incubator. Good luck keep us posted.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They will be fine. More than once I've moved peeping eggs from the turner to the hatcher, not adding humidity until that time. The hatches went well. I even accidentally left one batch in the turner and they still hatched.

4. micheleomal

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Thanks. That's what I was hoping you'd say. Wish me luck [​IMG].

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Keep us posted

6. micheleomal

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Will do. I candled the smallest one this morning and it looks a bit better so I put them in. I have eggs due to hatch today so I wanted to get them in the hatching bator before I have any pips from the other ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by