Lock down question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenpal147, Mar 23, 2017.

1. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    I have some silkie eggs that go into lock down on Tuesday, but I also have some shipped duck eggs that went in yesterday. My question is the eggs are in an automatic turner what should I do since I have eggs that just went in and eggs that are going into lock down?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Listen, to start with---always figure and set eggs so this does not happen unless you have a second incubator to move the Lock-Down eggs to. But it is what it is so to answer your question---with a few question to start?? Do you only have the one incubator? Do you still have the duck eggs in the turner---turning?

3. chickenpal147

chickenpal147 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    Only one bator. And the duck eggs got shipped later than they were supposed to and they are still in the turner turning. Lock down doesn't happen till Tuesday.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK had to re-read your post----I took it that the duck eggs went into "lock-down" yesterday instead of being added to the incubator yesterday. OK this is what I would do in your situation----most egg turners for Styrofoam type incubators has the egg trays on the turner that can be removed if needed. I would remove 1 or 2---what ever I needed----place the silkie eggs on the bottom where you remove the tray/s. Increase the moisture---As soon as the silkies start hatching I would unplug the turner so none of the babies get pinched----let them hatch, remove and quickly clean up the mess and plug the turner back in. Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by