Lock down Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GiGi123, Dec 10, 2010.

1. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Hey everyone!!

Lock down for me is Sunday. Exciting. :[​IMG]
    I was wondering if i had to start lock down at a certain time or any point in the day would work???
    Sponge wise can i just use a normal cleaning sponge or should i use like a hermit crab like sponge??

thank you for your help,

Gigi

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I usually use a hard heavy sock or a maxi pad for lockdown, but sponges work if you don't live in a dry climate, regular sponges cut up. Some people may not agree with me, but I lockdown from 4-5 hours on either side of the time you set them. Works for me!!

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

Except I've never tried the feminine products during lockdown.. Does that help in hatching more hens? [​IMG] Sorry.. I couldn't help my self.

I don't follow the rules of lockdown concerning time.. If Day one was set at 8:00pm, rule of thumb would be the start of 18 to lock down at 8:00pm.. but A lot of times I am still busy, or have something to do, so a few hours on both sides are OK... Not to mention it took a little bit when you set the eggs for the internal temp of the egg to get to 99.5 ish.

When are you, or have you already set?

4. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Ok what is lockdown?

5. Baralak

Quote:Good question... Lockdown is the time that you stop turning the eggs, raise the humidity in an incubator to 60-70ish precent. It is called lockdown because for most hatches, you need to leave the lid closed on the bator and leave it alone.. thus lockdown. Generally you would start lockdown for Chicken eggs on day 18.

Hope that helps.

6. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    OK

Thanks

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I never do a lock down. I open and close my Genesis all the time after 18 days as I need to. But my climate is rather high in humidity. I do try to get the humidity at about 70% but most often it holds at 50%.
    I usually have a 99% hatch rate and I never worry with times anymore. My hatches come out regardless of when set. I sometimes forget to pull a tray and have the hatches happening in the Sportsman while still turning. LOL

8. Baralak

Quote:Your in the same boat as me... lol .. In Louisiana we have very high humidity as well!!! Infact I'm swelting right now... We have a cold front about to go through... Temp is 74 and the humidity is right around 94%... Just checked and my humidy inside is 74%

Ugh!

9. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    When I was a day late locking down I had 100% hatch. Humidity at 55% on day 19! [​IMG] I did have pips while still in the turner that time. You will get diffrent answers and I am sure everyone has their own method.
    Good luck with your hatch.
    I am on day 19 now with 4 blue eggs and still have 30ish going in another incubator.

10. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks for the help!!

I started my eggs at about 9:30 17 days ago.
    Hopefully i can start lock down about that time tomorrow.

this is great i just bought my pine bedding and food. I'm so excited, this is my first hatch.

thanks again everyone,
    Gigi

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by