lock down questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mener6896, Dec 29, 2009.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    since this is my first incubation (due on Jan 11) I am assuming "lock down" means the last 3 days when you don't turn the eggs,etc. I am using an auto turner and know I am supposed to remove 3 days before hatch. My question is: I put my eggs in late at night (around 9:30 pm) should I take them out three days from that time, or start counting the next day. I know this seems trivial, but I'm concerned about stopping the turning too soon and the babies dying. How close to time does this need to be?

also, should I have a little water (with marbles) in there for when they do finally emerge?

If someone could explain the lock down procedure a little more specifically, I'd appreciate it!!

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Your right it means 3 days before hatch. So if you put them in at around 9:30 pm, day one would not be until the next day so you can take the turner out the next day. Don't put any water in there for them. They can live up to 48 hours without food or water because of the yoke. And don't open the bator until they all hatch. That's the hardest thing. Get your humidity up to around 65 or 70 on day 18. I hope that helps. Good luck and let us know how you make out. AND REMEMBER, don't open the bator. [​IMG]

3. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by