lock down sunday should i

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dallas206, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dallas206

Dallas206 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Poplarville MS
    I will be locking down one of my bators for a Dec 22 hatch Sunday evening my question is should i candle all eggs before lock down I candled last night and thought my self lucky out of 43 shipped bcm eggs I had 36 making good progress with movement in all 36 5 clear and one that stopped on about day 8 from what i have read. also I candled my on eggs from my hens and out off 117 I still have 103 12 where clear and 2 had blood ring I did open all eggs before tossing just to check and see what they looked like the 2 with blood rings looked like they quit about the same time as the bcm eggs witch looked like about day 8. on day 8 we had a power out for about 2 hours I was not home so do not know how much the bator cooled off I am using a sportsman 1202a and a cloned sportsman that i made out of a old 1202a that had seen better days so I rebuilt it we check the bator 4 times a day and chart temp and humidity the humidity has been 44 with the occasional spike to 48 and temp has been a steady 99.5 other then when the power went out. this has been my first time incubating eggs and if any one has any advise for lock down please let me know

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

In my opinion, you don't need to candle again at lockdown if you've just candled and culled bad eggs.

3. Dallas206

Dallas206 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Poplarville MS
    thanks for the info also anyone have any input on humidity at lock down i was going to shot for around 65 that about right and i know after they start to hatch the humidity is going to climb because of the chicks being wet do i need to try and control it are let it climb I know this is going to take at least 36 hrs there will be 145 to hatch.

Also should i lay them flat are put them in a carton

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I try to keep my humidity about 50-55 for lock down. But lots of folks have different methods that work for them. You don't want it to be too too high because the humidity can cause a build up of moisture that will drown the chicks while they're trying to pip.

You should hatch them in the same position you've incubated them. If you incubated on the side, hatch on the side.

The best tip i can give you is to keep the incubator closed as long as you can so as not to cause shrink wrap to pipping eggs.

5. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Exactly what they said!!!

Good advise! [​IMG]

6. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I see a lot of different temps suggested for lockdown. 50-55 would be easer to maintain in drier climates. I'm gathering data. We live in the mountains, I think I could keep that humidity.
    I've read posts where people are talking about 70 percent and over sounds a bit high.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Some folks fear drowning at internal pip with the higher humidity. That may or may not be more prevalent in more humid areas. You also don't want it so dry that the inner membrane shrink wraps the chick. This is why some folks do pump it up to 70 (as i understand it).

I have read that the humidity under a broody hen is 50-55, so that's what i go with, and i have had a lot of success that way. Just go with your gut. [​IMG]

8. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

What humidity do you keep for the first 18 days?

Richard

9. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I'll let it get up to 45-50 and let it dry out as low as 25-30 before pumping up the humidity. I use a hovabator (styrofoam) still air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by