Lock down tonight at 1

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacrystol, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    23 out of 41made it to lockdown, hatching on Sunday...all shipped..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Good luck for a successful hatch!

3. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Happy Hatching!

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Thank you I'm nerves as all heck because one of them is a loosee air cell my very first one. So it will be interesting on how that one turns out.

5. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    good luck! keep us posted!

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Went into lockdown and I couldn't resist I sat there in front of my incubator watching, What did I watch, eggs. ha ha ha..... Anyone in the right mind knows that they are NOT going to come out the first day of lockdown. I know this, I have had several eggs that I have hatched so why was I watching the incubator... I HAVE NO IDEAL.... this is the crazy thing that hatching does. But I have to admit, I did see 5 eggs wiggle. Perhaps they will come out early? I sat there for 2 hours watching .......... ha ha ha I need to get a life. ha ha ha. Well guess what, its been 1 hour since I have been away from the incubator, I best better go check on them. HA HA HA here we go again....

7. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    What is a loosee air cell? I love this site the learning is better than school could ever be. My grandchildren love to come over when its lockdown time and we all sit around the bator and watch. Knowing it could be a long while. I guess I need to get a life also.....but this is so much fun and then the results are even better.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  8. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Good Luck!! Are you hatching Silkies??
    Ayda

9. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:When eggs are handled roughly, like during shipping, the air cell can "detach" from it's place at the wide end of the egg. The air cell will then float around all over the egg which is bad. You want it where it belongs and where the chick is probably expecting it to be. With shipped eggs, you should let them sit still like in an egg carton with the wide end up, of course, for the first 3 days (in the incubator). [Generally with shipped eggs, you let them sit 12 to 24 hours wide end up just to let them settle before you put them in the incubator]

After 3 those three days, you can turn them/turn on your turner. The idea is to let the egg settle and have the air cell go back up to its natural place and hopefully re-attach and stay there the duration of the incubation. If not, the chick could be expecting to pip into the air cell and there isn't any...bad news for the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by