Lock on nesting box

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Is it necessary to have a lock on your nesting box?

Our nesting box is about 2 feet off the ground but i’m having a little incident where someone is stealing my eggs and it’s not an animal (if you catch my drift). I want to put a lock on it because i’m tired of having someone steal the eggs without notifying me first or even telling me about it. So i’m wondering if anyone else has a lock on theirs?!?

I don’t have a lock, just a simple hook to make it difficult for animals to open. But I don’t have humans stealing eggs around here. Are you sure it isn’t a raccoon 🦝 ?

I would put a lock on and maybe 🤔 a camera if people where stealing eggs.

I don’t have a lock, just a simple hook to make it difficult for animals to open. But I don’t have humans stealing eggs around here. Are you sure it isn’t a raccoon 🦝 ?

I would put a lock on and maybe 🤔 a camera if people where stealing eggs.
I’m sure it’s not an animal... i’m not pointing any fingers but i know who it is and they have been talked to about it but they still do it. We just got a camera today but we haven’t put it in the coop yet

I have locks on my nest boxes, my run and my coop door. The locks are combination carabiners I found at Walmart. Nothing a human can’t cut thru but then I know, more than likely, who did it. No animal can get in with the locks on. So if my eggs or chickens go missing it was a human.

Sounds like a no-brainer.
If some one, something is taking your eggs...put a lock on it!
Plus a nest box lid with no latch or fastener of some kind is a safety risk to your flock anyway. Racoons dont only eat eggs but chickens also.
We have a latch but we have one that you can put a lock on, that’s why i’m asking haha

I've never had any issues of anyone stealing eggs out of my nest boxes but have had thieves steal my egg money and eggs out of my egg cooler. I do have cameras up. Confront the egg thief. One thief went to jail. You shouldn't have to lock up your nest boxes. Good luck...

I've never had any issues of anyone stealing eggs out of my nest boxes but have had thieves steal my egg money and eggs out of my egg cooler. I do have cameras up. Confront the egg thief. One thief went to jail. You shouldn't have to lock up your nest boxes. Good luck...
It’s a long story and i said i didn’t want to point fingers but it’s making me mad because they don’t help me nor my boyfriend with the chickens, I am still a teenager so i don’t have my own house with my boyfriend, but we buy feed and everything they need with our own money. So i find it unfair how the called person is taking eggs without notifying me or my boyfriend because then we don’t know if every chicken is laying or not...

I guess in your situation then a lock on your nest box is a good solution. Good luck...

I had someone stealing my egg money. I keep it in a cookie jar. I thought about putting a mouse or rat trap in the cookie jar.

I guess in your situation then a lock on your nest box is a good solution. Good luck...

I had someone stealing my egg money. I keep it in a cookie jar. I thought about putting a mouse or rat trap in the cookie jar.
HAHA i would’ve! people are so unpleasant and for what. i’ve seen people use a cooler for theirs and cut a small hole in the top where you can put money and then put one of those latches on it that you can put a lock in it

Back
Top Bottom