Lock your ducks up @ night! - Very Discouraged... (slightly graphic)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Crayonsmom, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    I'm devastated... We caught a raccoon yesterday, but I should have put Haystack and Scuttle on the porch as soon as poor Dave died. I had a horrible feeling all day and kept thinking about Haystack. When I got home I found out why. I went out to bring my ducks water and thought that they just hadn't gone outside all day and were both resting. Scuttle gave me a nervous hoarse quack and then I saw my beautiful Haystack. [​IMG] Poor boy. I wonder why the predator got him instead of Scuttle who was already lame. That's it. I'm getting a nice duck house and keeping only a couple of ducks in it. I hate to say that I favor my ducks, but Dave was my first favorite, Haystack the next. Scuttle has just never been as interactive with me. But I'm beside myself right now. Scuttle is on the porch. She has a chunk out of her hip area that I cleaned with Hydrogen Peroxide and Wonder Dust. I'm really hoping she'll pull through, but she's very depressed and can't move aroudn very well. Is there something I can do the cheer her up a little while she heals? A mirror perhaps?

She had these nasty egg/larvae things growing around/stuck in some of her feathers. I got most of them out, but couldn't get some of them. I thoght I was going to throw up. But I poured Hydrogen Peroxide on them. What are they? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is her biggest wound. She has some lacerations around her head that don't seem too severe. She was such a good girl while I cleaned her up. It's all white after the Hydrogen Peroxide so you can't really see much... You can also see the eggs/larvae that I couldn't get our of her feathers. Could I carefully cut those feathers off?
    [​IMG]

In the tub before I cleaned her up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Poor duckie wasn't in the mood to preen herself much. I don't blame her. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are the last pictures taken of all three of my babies together. They make me very sad, especially because their death is pretty much my fault. [​IMG]:hit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to ask for a small duck house/chicken coop for my birthday. The least expensive the better, but I don't think I could make one myself that would be secure enough. I was going to ask for items for my horse, but it's nothing she needs, just things I want for her. My Scuttle and ducklings that will be hatching soon NEED a safe house to sleep in at night! Please give me any suggestions you have! (Can ducks fit in chicken coops?)

And although most members on here probably lock up their ducks every night, I want to say this. LOCK YOUR DUCKS UP AT NIGHT. Make sure it's a safe and secure place and don't get lazy one night. It only takes one missed lockup for a predator to get one or more ducks. Really invest in a good duck house and fencing if you want your babies to last. I've had to learn the hard way and it's not fun. [​IMG]

Thanks for reading, everyone.

2. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Im really sorry to hear this [​IMG] I have no idea what those egg type things could be. Im sorry Im not much help [​IMG]

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Those are fly larvae and will turn to maggots soon. You need to get those eggs off of her like now, when they hatch they will burrow into her flesh causing more problems.

4. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Ewww. Thanks for telling me that! So does that mean Hydrogen Peroxide would not have killed them and they'll still hatch?

5. northeastguy

northeastguy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:Your duck has myiasis, parasitic maggot infection. I don't think peroxide will help. Take the duck to a vet, what you can do first is try to remove most of the eggs and maggots with forcepts. The vet will take over and will use a mild insecticide for good measure. I do not know of any natural remedies for this and even if I did, the vet would still be a must in my book.

6. Crayonsmom

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Quote:Your duck has myiasis, parasitic maggot infection. I don't think peroxide will help. Take the duck to a vet, what you can do first is try to remove most of the eggs and maggots with forcepts. The vet will take over and will use a mild insecticide for good measure. I do not know of any natural remedies for this and even if I did, the vet would still be a must in my book.

Thank you. I really hope she'll pull through. [​IMG] It will take a LOT of convincing the parents to get her to the vet, but hopefull we can do it. That's pretty nasty because she had been injured for a very short time and those things are already there. Poor girl. I'm going to go clean the rest of them up tonight even if I have to cut some of her feathers, and do whatever else we can ASAP.

7. northeastguy

Jun 13, 2011

Thank you. I really hope she'll pull through. [​IMG] It will take a LOT of convincing the parents to get her to the vet, but hopefull we can do it. That's pretty nasty because she had been injured for a very short time and those things are already there. Poor girl. I'm going to go clean the rest of them up tonight even if I have to cut some of her feathers, and do whatever else we can ASAP.

Prunus persica, basically ornamental peach tree twigs can be pounded and mixed with water, and applied to the wound, so I've read. Can't hurt to try till you can get the vet help.

8. northeastguy

Jun 13, 2011
    I know the treatment is used on people and cows, not sure if I'd try the peach twig treatment on a duck, but its your call, the twigs have phosphorus which is a mild insecticide.

9. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    So sorry to here about Haystack and Dave. Hope scuttle pulls through. Get her to a vet as soon as possible.

10. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:Im so sorry for your loss honey. Ceck out the little thing I recently made. Im 55 year old lady and everything on me hurts. If I can do this, you sure can attempt it. Good Luck and God Bless.
    It's not finished yet, but will be soon.
    Could be anchored down to keep coons out, an apron of hardware cloth on all sides would stop digging critters.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by