1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

LOCKDOWN! a few questions..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Mar 14, 2012.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Right now is day 18 of incubation I am a bit concerned. I have the eggs in cartons right now but I am not sure if I should keep them in cartons or put them on their sides. Also, I have some left over duck starter (actually alot of it!) could I feed chicks that? Because I am only doing chicks this time then going back to ducks so I dont feel the need to buy a huge bag of chick starter since I give them back to the farmer in a week anyways.. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Duck starter can be too high in protein for chicks so take a look at the label. Higher than 18% and you could have pasty butt issues, but it won't kill them. Duck starter is non-medicated and that's perfectly fine for your chicks. Just double check the protein.

I hatch in cartons or extra egg turner racks exclusively. It's a matter of personal preference. I hatch upright because I usually have a large number of eggs in the hatcher and I can't stand seeing the hatched chicks rolling the unhatched eggs around. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Right now is day 18 of incubation I am a bit concerned. I have the eggs in cartons right now but I am not sure if I should keep them in cartons or put them on their sides.

People do it both ways. You'll find some people that very strongly believe that the cartons are the only way to go, and you'll find some people that believe flat is best. I consider it a personal choice issue, do whichever makes you happy.

The recommendations that came with my incubator say to lay them flat, so that is what I do. The way I look at it, the incubator manufacturer wants you to have success so you'll buy or recommend his product. But I think they are just giving you a simple way that works so they don't have to explain as much. I believe the egg carton method works equally well. But if you go that way, it is probably a good idea to cut the bottoms out to give good air circulation.

Also, I have some left over duck starter (actually alot of it!) could I feed chicks that? Because I am only doing chicks this time then going back to ducks so I dont feel the need to buy a huge bag of chick starter since I give them back to the farmer in a week anyways..

I don't do ducks and don't know what duck starter you have. Unless there is something really weird about it, I'd expect it to be fine for a week as long as it is under 30% protein. People get hung up on feed, but when a broody raises chicks, she does not monitor their exact feed intake that closely. A wide range will work, especially since it is only for a week.

When I hatch turkeys with my chicks, I feed 24% game bird starter to them all. With chicks I hatch, I've not had a problem with pasty butt. With shipped chicks, I have had some problems. I think it is more due to the shipping stress than the feed, but that is just my opinion.

4. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Thanks alot for the answers, one more question! I candled the eggs and I saw some space between the airsac is this ok? Or should there be no room. Just wondering [​IMG]

5. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Its about an inch of space, but what i've heard there shouldnt be any space. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by