1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lockdown and i already lost one :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vintage00gypsy, Jul 19, 2011.

1. vintage00gypsy

vintage00gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Itasca County Minnesota
    It's my first time. I have (had) 5 guinea and 3 barred rock that made it this far. I took the tray out and was moving my eggs back in when... omg... this one guinea had already pipped... and on the small end. poor dear. i watched it for a couple hours, but nothing but small movements. no sounds. so, i read a lot. and read more. and took the shell off where it was cracked. the membrane was very white and dry. the chick was wiggling but very weak and no noise. i read more. i watched longer. i moistened but not near the beak.

i waited. guinea wrapped in dampness, snug n warm. no movement. nothing. nothing. no response to touch. i knew it was too late for it but tried anyway. pulled back the membrane by it's nose, wiggled it lightly... dead.

[​IMG] it's wrapped in wet warminess until my husband can figure out what to do with it. i am glad my kids were in bed. we lost 3/4 of our first incubator hatch and personally, I don't think the three chickens left in there are even alive. We got this wicked humidity the last week or so and the temps and humidity have been all colors of messed up. The four other guinea looked great the last time we candled... so let's just hope they can pull through.

how in the world does all that bird fit in that teeny shell????

2. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    Ooooh...Im so sorry [​IMG] I really hope that the other ones make it. Just be patient (yes, I know that is soooo hard to do, lol) and I will keep my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG] I was soooo afraid that I did something to my chicks when I put the eggs in lock down because I didnt hear any peeping or anything after reading so many other people's posts about hearing them days before they pipped but yesterday (Monday) morning I had my first egg pip! Now there are a total of 4 pips and some other eggs rocking [​IMG] I hope we both have alot of good luck!

3. vintage00gypsy

Jun 22, 2011
    Itasca County Minnesota
    in hind sight, I should have left it to do what it did - as, obviously, it was very early to be hatching and how would I save it anyway??? when i saw it's beak and it didn't move for hours I figured it had probably been that way for a while in the incubator. I hadn't moved the eggs at all or candled for a few days. It was probably very weak.

oh well. I got to play with a dead keet and examine it and I guess I learned a thing or two...

I find it strange how attached we get to those little buggers. I mean, it's just a little bird in an egg, right??? Yet, here I am - 1:30 am... stressing over it.

Better start ordering the next batch.

4. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    I hear ya...it's 2:30 am here and I cant go to sleep no matter how hard I try! Even if I did fall asleep, I would probably just dream some weird dream about my chicks anyways, lol.

5. vintage00gypsy

Jun 22, 2011
    Itasca County Minnesota
    I agree. I tried to sleep... all I could think about was that guinea all weak and dying in the shell. Now, it's dead... and I have come to terms with that... so, I will try again. I think.

Good luck... with the chicken dreams. LOL.

6. mathesonfarm

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    LOL. Keep me posted on the progress of your other eggs! I think Im gonna check the eggs one more time, lol, then TRY to go to bed.

7. vintage00gypsy

Jun 22, 2011
    Itasca County Minnesota
    No more death yet.

A couple eggs are rolling a bit (could be sleep deprivation, but i did get a few hours so who knows lol)

I am worried for the guineas, there was not a lot of air in the eggs and the membrane was so dry on the one I lost (tho the humidity was only about 50 because it wasn't lock down yet)

I have my temp at 98 right now and the humidity has been running about 83 (and higher). . . it was 90 for a while and I had a heck of a time getting it down. I finally propped a corner of the incubator open with a tissue (ever so slightly) and it's been sitting at about 80-83 since.

Is this OK!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by