lockdown and temp decreased - suggestions??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bad Wolf, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    I have 2 incubators set up.. because I am crazy:) I started in a still air incubator and a day later an incubator with an auto turner went on sale. I have never used one of those but it seemed so great I had to buy it and try. I transferred all the eggs to the new bator and all has been great. Yesterday was lock down day.. the still air bator was already on with a new batch of eggs so I swapped the eggs so the lockdown eggs would be in the still air. The temp has been 99 in the still air for a week. Since swapping the eggs the still air won't come back up to 99 - it's holding at about 96 with 65% humidity. It has had more than half a day to come back up. The dial on the still air is all the way turned... I can't increase the temp. What should I do? Swap the eggs back... ?? I have eggs shipping from mypet chicken in about a week and was hoping to continue to use both bators.

any suggestions greatly appreciated!!!!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Have you doubled checked the temperature on the 96* one with multiple thermometers? The still airs can take quite awhile to come back up to temp with the added water for humidity and especially if the room temperature is low (cold weather we have been having), but you'd think you would be seeing a gradual increase still. I would consider putting the eggs in the other one and turning off the turner for now (a day shouldn't hurt the other eggs) and see if I could get the still air up to temp or if it is the heating element going out.

3. backyardklukker

backyardklukker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    Check that your room temperature is atleast 70 degrees in the incubation room of your building. Make sure nothing is is blocking the incubator lid and it is sitting closed all the way, and make sure no vent plugs are missing. If all this is ok, then give it more time. It takes longer than you think to correct low temperatures. And humidity is more important than temperature. As, long as the incubator says 95+ inside, you are ok. Eggs still progress at 95+ degrees F. Give it longer, it won't hurt it. Just keep the humidity in check and all will go well.

4. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    Room temp is low.. I can move it and if that doesn't work by the morning I will put them in the new one.

Thanks for the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by