Lockdown. Best advice?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I am nowhere close to going on lockdown, im only on day 3! But, id like to know some advice. Should i put the eggs in egg cartons? I have 18. What sould i do? Howhigh should humidity be?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You really need to check out the learning center. All this is covered there. I am on my second hatch (Saturday) and this is how I do it (remember this is only my 2nd so I am new)

Keep it at 99.5 degrees. Humidity under 50. Mine has run in the 60's this batch with zero water added so it will be interesting. I still seem to have good size air pockets. I candle day 7, I skipped day 14 this time. Day 18 I will put some water in to raise the humidity. Last time when I put water in, it only raised it to about 65% and I only got 7 out of 18 hatched. After adding the water I lock it down.

It's a lot of fun and educational.

I look forward to some more knowledgeable answers but I thought I would get the ball rolling.

Good Luck,

Shawn

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks! But.. Whats the learning center? Sticky?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I take the turner out of the incubator and lay the eggs on the wire. To bring the humidity up I fill the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator and use a mason jar with a sponge which acts like a wick. This is what I do. I'm sure you will get a lot of different suggestions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My homemade incubator/hatcher. I have since added a fan. I use a 15 watt bulb on a dimmer switch.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Thanks!

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Scroll to the top of the page and right beside BYC Home is a link to Learning Center. Make sure you have plenty of time lol! Lot's of great information there.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck and have fun... [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks!!! That is great information. I bookmarked it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by