Lockdown- Can Humidity Be TOO High?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faerytalefarm, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Is 75-78% humidity going to be too high? I may take some of the water out since no one has pipped yet. Thoughts?

2. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'd say yes. My last hatch it started at 75%, after the first hatch it shot up to 85% from the chicks humidity. Had a few drown after pipping.

3. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:I opened one of the little plugged up air vents for a while. I think I will pull out the cup of water I put in there last night.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I always thought that drowning chicks in their shells was because the humidity was too high during the first part of incubation???

5. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:That's what I've read. I think mine will be fine with the tiny vent unplugged.

6. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Chicks drown from high humidity during first 18 days. I would say 80% is tops for humidity during lockdown.

7. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Thanks [​IMG]

8. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I know drowning can happen from too much moisture during the first 18 days, but when my humidity shot over 85% and it was sopping wet in there, I asked on here and was told that my humidity was too high which is why many died fully formed.

9. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] so sorry... That's sad.. I've gotten the humidity around 70% now.

10. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    Good question, I have some eggs in lockdown right now and was wondering the same thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by