lockdown dates 7-30 through 8-3..can i combine?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DixieChickie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I have eggs in the bator with lockdown dates of 7/30, 8/1, and 8/3....can I combine them? My plan was to lockdown in my LG but I can't get the humidity stable. So I was wondering if I could lock them down together, then I could hatch out in my cabinet style. Thoughts?

My 8/3 lockdown eggs I was going to lock down 2 days early anyways, because they were shipped and appear to have started developing in transit.

2. Bugg

Bugg Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    East Orlando
    I have been successfull with mixed dates before.
    If you are turning by hand just turn the latest ones an extra day then go full lockdown.
    Don't turn any that break the outer shell or appear to have rocked themselves into a new position.
    ( If they can move themselves enough to control their position I leave them alone )

I use an automatic egg turner.
    My problem was that the first eggs were left on the egg turner during hatching and they had to deal with the movement of the turner.
    Now I have taken out two rows leaving an area to lay down any eggs that pip early.

Bugg

3. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Thank you, for responding...greatly appreciated!! That sounds easy enough. I thought I might put the lockdown eggs on the 2nd shelf, its about a degree cooler, but I figured then the hatching contents wouldn't get all over the other eggs.

4. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:good answer, I was curious about this also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by