1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Lockdown day, air cell looks too small.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ocdbrownie, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Ocdbrownie

Ocdbrownie Chirping

Jul 20, 2018
    So I apparently had the humidity up too high the first week and a half of incubation. The air cells in my three polish eggs looks to be the size of an air cell at day seven. Tonight is lockdown night and my question is how to best position the eggs with such a small air cell? I currently have them sitting up at an angle with the lowest side of the air cell out. Is this ok? Or would it be better to lay them down?

2. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Free Ranging

I have never altered the hatching angle from laying flat o im no real help there, but maybe try 1 more day of no added humidity. Maybe even add dry rice in a cup to try to tame some of teextra humidity out of there. Its not gonna do a lot, but maybe itll help some. If you have any chirping eggs dont lower the humidity. Thats only for if they arent ready to hatch just yet

Ocdbrownie likes this.
  3. Ocdbrownie

Ocdbrownie Chirping

Jul 20, 2018
    I'm not too sure another day of humidity free would work considering I changed to full dry incubation about day 12 and only tonight added water for humidity. . . I don't hear chirps but do see slight movement in the eggs. I went ahead and laid them back down, and since I read somewhere on here that it helps hatch rates, made sure they are touching each other.
    20180807_003518.jpg
    I guess well see how it goes. Three won't be near as much a heart break as my first 20 that didn't make it. . . But if nothing else, I have 10 females coming to the post office in the morning. I can't wait to meet my new babies!

Rose Quartz likes this.
  4. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    I was able to save duck eggs by putting a safety hole into them after they internal pipped for 24 hours and no external pip. These were eggs that were at your level for air cell. All that were not malpositioned hatched normally afterwards. Not sure if it would work for you but it could be worth a try.

Rose Quartz and Ocdbrownie like this.
  5. Ocdbrownie

Ocdbrownie Chirping

Jul 20, 2018
    Thank you! I'll keep an eye on them over the next few days! Hope for the best with these three. I'd love a couple polish that I can handle since the ones we have were full grown when they were given to us so don't let us get too close. *crosses fingers*​

Rose Quartz likes this.
  6. Ocdbrownie

Ocdbrownie Chirping

Jul 20, 2018
    Update, so far nothing has changed much. Only slight change in air cells. They've grown a tiny bit bigger. I'm waiting out the next two days in anticipation! As for the babies that I was getting mailed from the hatchery. . . . All of them were dead when I recieved them this morning. I'm not happy. I've contacted tractor supply and they have informed me the hatchery will be sending another batch out today. Let's pray they all make it safe this time. Looking at the evidence of the box however, I believe the portal service is to blame. . .

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  7. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Free Ranging

D: oh no. Thats awful

ChickNanny13 and Ocdbrownie like this.
  8. Ocdbrownie

Ocdbrownie Chirping

Jul 20, 2018
    It was. I was beyond livid. But the company was very apologetic. I received another shipment of babies as a replacement. All but one out of the ten made it so I'm happy. As for the little eggs. . One died before internal pip. One died after pip, but I think it was my fault for trying to help too soon. . . The other made it and is very healthy. It's touch smaller then the other nine, so I was kind of scared to put it with them at first even if they are about 3 or 4 days older. Lol. . . But they seem to be doing fine. VideoCapture_20180814-001056.jpg
    The tiny black and yellow one is my little polish from the egg.

9. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Free Ranging

Glad you got some bebes ^u^

Ocdbrownie likes this.
  10. Ocdbrownie

Ocdbrownie Chirping

Jul 20, 2018
    Me too. They're so cute lol

Rose Quartz likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: