Lockdown day - no movement?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shedinator, May 18, 2018.

1. shedinator

shedinator Chirping

Apr 17, 2016
    I posted about this in the turkey thread, but didn't see a response.

We had a major power outage Tuesday thru this morning. I got our incubator into my electric car, and used an inverter to keep the Bator going, but temps fluctuated a lot in the first 24 hours because of the new environment.

Weds evening was the start of lockdown, and when I candled beforehand, I didn't see movement in any of the eggs. So far no hatch activity, either. Is there a way to tell if the outage killed them all, or should I just wait until Sunday and see if any of them make it?

2. ladydi

ladydi Chirping

Mar 24, 2010
    Centralia, WA
    I’d just wait until Sunday. See what happens. Good luck.

3. shedinator

shedinator Chirping

Apr 17, 2016
    Really hoping this is a good sign.

Attached Files:

4. obicat

obicat Songster

Mar 4, 2018
    Northampton, UK
    If its a crack it is :) Hard to tell from the photo though!

5. shedinator

shedinator Chirping

Apr 17, 2016
    It's definitely a crack! Only one I can see, but we're just reaching the end of day 26 and it's so hard to get a good look through the windows. So I'm not counting my turkeys just yet, but I'm a little more hopeful than I've been since Wednesday.

6. obicat

obicat Songster

Mar 4, 2018
    Northampton, UK
    Any update? :fl:fl

7. shedinator

shedinator Chirping

Apr 17, 2016
    It's looked like this for about 18 hours now, so I'm starting to get nervous about when the zipping will happen, but I hear peeps and see the beak moving. Not seeing pipping on any of the other eggs.

Attached Files:

8. shedinator

shedinator Chirping

Apr 17, 2016
    Still no additional shell removal. At what point do y'all usually intervene?

9. shedinator

shedinator Chirping

Apr 17, 2016
    Well, rats. After no add'l shell removal for another 24 hours and no noises or movement since noon, I finally decided to help it out, As soon as I got the egg, the poult popped right out, but I'm pretty sure it's dead. Still no pips on the rest. Tornadoes suck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: