Lockdown early or late?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tankboss, Oct 8, 2013.

1. tankboss

tankboss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Hey all!

The 13th day for my button quail eggs is tomorrow at 6pm. I have to leave home at 1:30 pm and won't be back until midnight so I'm faced with either going into lockdown early or late... which would be the better choice? The eggs have been kept at a fairly constant temp in the high 99s.

Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You don't have to lockdown exactly on the hour, a few hours early or late really wouldn't matter. I've had chicks hatch a day after I locked down and my second hatch I remember locking down on early on day 19 (chicken eggs), turning the eggs one last time and finding some pipped already! They hatched out fine. Best of luck with your hatch!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. tankboss

Oct 1, 2013
    Sounds good to me. Thanks!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't know if you candle quail eggs, but I lock down when I see internal pip. I don't go by day, but it usually is around day 18. Sometimes a day early, sometimes a day late. I start candling every 12 hours on day 17.

5. tankboss

Oct 1, 2013
    I didn't have much luck candling, aside from the one white egg that looked like it was empty (threw it out).... definitely not good enough visibility to see any internal pip. Looks like I'm going to lock em down a little early. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by