Lockdown for Bantams

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by croach510, Apr 16, 2012.

1. croach510

croach510 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2012
    Quinton, Va
    I have 4 bantams in my bator. They are due to go on lockdown Wed the 18th. I have been reading different threads on here and from what I'm reading the general concesses is that bantams on many occasions hatch a couple days early. So my questions is, should I just wait and lockdown on the 18th or should I lock them down a day early on the 17th. This is my second hatch and didn't have a good hatch my first go round. Only 1 out of 6 hatched, so I really want to give my banty's the best possible chance. Please any info would help. Thanks

2. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    I would lock them down on day 18.... I just hatched 5 bantam Cochins and 6 silkies.... The bantams hatched on day 19... The silkies on days 19-21. They are so small and adorable!!! :D

Good luck and keep us posted!

3. gwendalynn28

gwendalynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I have 36 bantam eggs set in my Little Giant forced air incubator. This will be my third attempt at hatching bantams. I was wondering too about lockdown since bantams seem to be more difficult to get a successful hatch. My last attempt was only 2 of 15 eggs and one died on its third day. I ran out and bought it two Silkie friends since it was very unhappy alone! Does anyone here know how to care for Silkies? I noticed yesterday that one had quite a bit of poo stuck in its fluff. They are only about 4 weeks old and they peck a lot in the brooder even though they have food. I hear them pecking the floor and the walls all the time! Any ideas on how to keep all that white silkie fluff a little cleaner? Having white chickens is going to tough! Lol!

4. croach510

Mar 27, 2012
    Quinton, Va
    Take a warm wet paper towel and wipe the poop off, special if its stuck to the butt. I think I'm going to split the difference for lockdown. The will be at day 18 at 11pm on the day of the 18th. I'm going to lock them down at 12pm on the day of the 18th. This is my first bantam hatch, but my second attempt at hatching. I did not have a good first try. So I am going to be so upset if I don't get at least 1 out of this batch.

5. gwendalynn28

gwendalynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    I had only one survivor from my first hatch of the year. It was bad because that lonely little chick was so frantic after its hatch mate died. That's why I ended up with those two Silkies. They are my first Silkies and I'm not sure how to care for them. They are weird looking!! My little bantam chick likes them though. He/she is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte bantam. I have standard Blue Laced Red Wyandottes so I wanted to try to the bantam version because the standards are so great!! I'm sort of new to hatching. I hatched out three batches last summer and those were my first ever attempts. I built a handmade incubator and I've been comparing it to a store bought one. Mine is winning so far for having better hatches! I've done two hatches so far this year and only four chicks total. I have three new Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (BLRW) from my flock! Its so exciting to hatch your own eggs! Last year I bought eggs on ebay! The hatch rate is so much better with eggs that aren't shipped! I'm excited to candle my bantam eggs. I'm really hoping for a better hatch this time! I really like bantams! There size is so flippin' cute!
    [​IMG]

6. croach510

Mar 27, 2012
    Quinton, Va
    I only had one hatch out of my first batch. I named her Stella and ended up putting a stuffed animal in with her cause she was lonely. She did really well with her toy and it calmed her right down. I considered getting her a friend, but in the state of Va it is mandatory that you have to purchase 6 chicks at a time and I didnt want that many. I'm trying to add just bantams to my flock and hatching them myself. Your little banty is so cute and seems to like the 2 silkies. The one that did hatch is a RIR not a banty and I had such bad luck with the regular chicks, I'm afraid I'm going to have the same bad luck with these. Got my fingers crossed [​IMG] for a better hatch this time. Have kept my hands off the eggs except for candling at day 7 and 14. Had movement in all 4 eggs when I candled on the day 14. The will go in lockdown tomorrow at 12pm. So excited, but nervous. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]This is Stella at 1 week old. She is spoiled. I take her out and play with her a couple times a day. When she gets real lonely or wants your attention she starts peepn and won't stop till you go get her.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by