1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lockdown fri night:-)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bensteph821, Aug 3, 2011.

1. bensteph821

bensteph821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Easton Pennsylvania
    Just candled my mixed bunch of nuts, getting ready for hatcher on Fri..they allllll look good! We had a not so good hatch with 7 silkies the other day..one out of 7 hatched,but I think was expected because the first 7 days they started out under a heat lamp. Now the real test comes with the next hatch(our second hatch ever and a "new old" Incubator ..an old jamesway 2940..anyone else using one Of these?)

Really excited to see how This turns out..my husband worked so hard to get this cleaned up and running smoothly. NOW!!!! The fb part starts this weekend as well. He atta:Dched another incubator to it, as this is how they are designed to work And we Have some fertile ostrich eggs coming. THAT will be the real test.

2. rekabnivek

rekabnivek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    I know how you feel. We had about 50 shipped eggs we set and only about half went into lockdown. We had only one chick to hatch so far. We had bought an LG and used that for incubation along with a retro styrofoam wafter bator. The retro worked much better and didn't have the temp. fluctuations the LG had. My husband was so frustrated with the quality he retrieved his father's Leahy (Brower) Redwood cabinet incubator for our next hatch. It needs a lot of work though. Good luck on your eggs in the big bator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by