Lockdown? guinea eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by georgia531, May 9, 2011.

1. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Hello everyone.. this is my first post so forgive me if this is a frequent question. I have been reading the forums everyday, and there is so much useful information. I have a dozen guinea eggs incubating with an automatic turner. (styrofoam still air incubator) Today is day 25. I am on the fence about removing the turner. I have tried not to disturb the eggs too much, I have had to lift out the turner to add water, but have been careful to do it quickly. I have tried candeling several times, but again, didnt want to disturb the eggs too much. These were shipped eggs that I had let settle for 12 hours. Most look very dark, with several looking like they contain "quitters".
    I am really nervous now, as I am not sure about removing the turner and adding a sponge to up the humidity. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] from Georgia. I do not know anything about turner's so I can't help you there. All I can say is sit on your hands. I just hatched my 1st set of guinea eggs last week. I have done chicks 3x now. And I was a nervous wreck over these too. Out of 24 I got 17. 7 did not hatch. They are alot different than chicks. A whole lot fiester. And so cute. Good luck and welcome again.

3. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Hi !! i removed the turner with no complications and added 2 sponges, but the humidity is still only 47% not sure what to do next. [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am not sure either. Do you have trays to put water in in the incubator. I have a still air. And have never used a turner. Hopefully someone will come on and help that has more knowledge. Sorry I can not help more.

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Wick the water trays with paper towels. Have small amounts of paper towel sticking up touching the hardware cloth. Then, lay paper towels over the hardware cloth. The paper towel should start to soak up the water in the trays...

6. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    thank you.. that sounds like a really good idea. im kinda scared to open it all up and take the eggs out again to lift out the screen. what if i just set some wet paper towels in the corners ?

7. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    ps.. thank you both for trying to help, i think its gonna be a long 3 days or so

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    The hen gets off the nest everyday, at least once. For over 30 minutes... If you don't keep them out for an hour, you are fine. You could fold WARM, wet paper towels, and line the incubator. Make a square around the eggs. When raising humidity you have to focus on surface area. And warm water is key to raising it as well. Cold water doesn't vaporize or evaporate as fast as warm water.

9. georgia531

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    i will do that.. thank you so much.. what about the vent plugs? both open or closed or one and one?

10. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Depends... I use mine to regulate the temp and humidity, so I don't have to adjust the thermostat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by