lockdown help needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickiechik, Aug 17, 2011.

1. chickiechik

chickiechik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Have Swedish flower eggs in a Brinsea advance due to hatch Sat 20th. Tomorrow the turner shuts off automatically and I need to fill the middle pot with water for humidity. Came home today and have a tiny pip in an egg. Can I open the bator to add more water for humidity that should normally be done tomorrow??? [​IMG]

2. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I would squeak a straw in and put water in, you really shouldn't open it but if you have very low humidity because you weren't to lockdown it could be bad anyhow. Bendy straws work wonders, either that or open in quickly in a very humid warm steamy bathroom.

3. chickiechik

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Quote:its the mini advance where the whole top needs to come off.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

heat the water to the temp you would use for a cup of hot tea.. open the lid.. add water and close it as quickly as possible

5. chickiechik

Aug 16, 2011
    Venice Florida
    Quote:Thank you both for your advice. I took the bator in in the very humid bathroom and very quickly opened and put the water in. Can only hope for the best and a good hatch. Good thing about Brinsea it recoups temps very quickly. Its going to be a long 3 days!!!

6. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Mine are roughly the same age Karla and out of 30 chickens 3 are laying......Yep I am going to start to threaten them with the butcher, but I think they might see right through me;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by