1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lockdown... Here's hoping!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mediazeal, Dec 1, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I've been having trouble with hatching and after much testing and calibrating (bought a new tool for that) I discovered my theromator was 3 degrees off to the low side, meaning I was running anywhere from 101-102 in the OLD GQF cabinet incubator. The OLD GQF cabinet type and has since had it's therometer replaced. Needless to say, I had low hatch rates.

Day 18. I have just moved 23 Black Copper Maran eggs from my Brinsea 20 to my new GQF hatcher. Keep your fingers crossed, they spent 36 hours in the too hot cabinet incubator days 0-2.

Day 0. And I just put 13 Wheaten Penedesenca eggs into the always working right Brinsea 20.
    I've had extra trouble hatching out Penedesencas. I hear they do not ship well. Out of 3 doz from 2 different breeders I was able to hatch 2 chicks. This will be the 4th dozen.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Very best of luck and happy hatching! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Hopefully with your newly calibrated temps, you'll have better luck. Two chicks out of 3 dozen is rough and very discouraging. Good job on figuring out your thermometer was the issue. Good luck !

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Day 23, no chicks
    I just opened all the eggs. There was no development in any of them.
    The seller had warned me it was a low fertility time and some of them had been scrambled by the shipping.
    I'll try again when she thinks her birds are producing higher fertility eggs.

just a bummer, no babies.
    Still have in the Wheaten Penedesencas
    too early to candle still, only on day 5

5. sian

sian Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Purcellville VA
    I'm sorry - that sucks [​IMG] Better luck next time.

I am hoping for Blue Andalusians over the next couple of days, but I'm not very good at hatching yet. I do have a lovely Golden Lakenvelder from my last hatch, but 1 out of 24, not good......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by