Lockdown humidity help needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ash123, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I bought a brand new hygrometer and it's showing I'm at 63 percent. I have all the resevoirs full, 2 wash cloths and a sponge in the incubator. This to me seems Like too much. I don't want to drown them but I have nothing to go by but what it says. I got down really low earlier so I opened the incubator and rewet the sponge (I know I'm not suppose to) this is driving me nuts! Does anyone have any suggestions? The babies haven't started to hatch yet just some egg movement.

2. i would leave it on this batch...when the first one hatches it will shoot the humidity up for you (as long as you stop opening the lid) [​IMG], lol

hatching this time of year usually presents more of an issue due to the surrounding air getting dryer. On your next run dont forget to add only hot water (at least 105 degrees) and keep it plugged up. Also I would suggest another cheap hydrometer to back up your new one....even good ones can be bad from the factory. Another trick is to put the bator in a small area like a closet and put in a cheap humidifier on day 18 to bring up the surrounding humidity. You know the kind at walmart that your mom put vicks in when you were sick :)

3. ps...
    as matter of fact I always suggest keeping the bator in a small closet anyway. More constant air temp, more stable humidity, easier to control the surroundings. Out of site..out of mind for curious children and pets.

4. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ok these first eggs were suppose to be a test run. I didn't buy a hygrometer until lockdown. I didn't realize i would get so attached or I would have done a little more research before starting. I guess ive got to learn somehow. I started with 14 eggs and 2 were infertile. I have 12 moving eggs now so I guess I haven't done bad so far:) thanks so much for your help maybe I can get some sleep now. I'm not obsessed at all lol:p

5. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    It's down to 59 now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by