Lockdown Humidity, won't exceed 65%

WinningRabbit

Chirping
Feb 4, 2022
First hatch, using a Kindsuro Max 20. We are on day 20 here and we can't get the humidity to go higher than 65%. After all of the reading on this site and other places, we were really aiming for 70. Will the 65% be enough for them? I realize that if we have success with just one chick, it will increase the humidity for the remaining little ones. Also, there is a cardboard/absorbent piece that goes in the machine and I was thinking that perhaps that is keeping it from going higher. The manual doesn't even mention lockdown (lol), and I'm unable to figure out if that should be removed for the hatch.

I hatch out at 50% with zero issues.
It's possible your humidity gauge is not even reading correctly.

I would not worry about it trying to get it higher... I would be more concerned with it possibly being too high the first 18 days.

Have you been candling your eggs throughout?

Can you take a clear picture of your incubator right now and upload it here?

I hatch out at 50% with zero issues.
It's possible your humidity gauge is not even reading correctly.

I would not worry about it trying to get it higher... I would be more concerned with it possibly being too high the first 18 days.

Have you been candling your eggs throughout?
Okay, that makes me feel better. I have just read so many stories where there wasn't enough H. and people have said going forward they will aim for that 70%. :) Yes, we candled throughout and all did well. Just hoping that after coming this far, they have everything they need to get here.

Okay, that makes me feel better. I have just read so many stories where there wasn't enough H. and people have said going forward they will aim for that 70%. :) Yes, we candled throughout and all did well. Just hoping that after coming this far, they have everything they need to get here.
I would not continue to worry about trying to get the humidity high.
Not even for one second. It is plenty high enough.

I agree with @Kiki , the humidity is high enough, it's actually approaching 'too high' level.
Most of the literature you read on the web is out dated. When humidity is 70% or higher it can cause problems for the chicks ability to 'zip'. The high humidity acts as a lubricant and the chick struggles (stuck chick) to make any progress because it keeps sliding back to it's original position, resulting in a (dis) chick...died in shell.
It can also cause problems with curled toes, because it takes too long for the chick to make the 'turn' and escape the shell.

I agree with @Kiki , the humidity is high enough, it's actually approaching 'too high' level.
Most of the literature you read on the web is out dated. When humidity is 70% or higher it can cause problems for the chicks ability to 'zip'. The high humidity acts as a lubricant and the chick struggles (stuck chick) to make any progress because it keeps sliding back to it's original position, resulting in a (dis) chick...died in shell.
It can also cause problems with curled toes, because it takes too long for the chick to make the 'turn' and escape the shell.
So good to know, thank you. I have two that have pipped. Not sure how to pull away and do anything but watch this! LOL

Back
Top Bottom